Kel Tec P17 .22lr

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by silentarcher, Apr 4, 2021.

1. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these? If you have please share likes and dislikes, as well as experiences with it.

2. raidergson

raidergson 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    I shot one. Decent little pistol, and very light. It is weird that the slide is composed of the rear, like woodsmans challengers and H.S.’s, but the top strap as well. The barrel and side top frame are fixed. Decently accurate, but not as fine as the better Marks and older vintage rear slide pistols. Better than some of the newer full light slide 22s that mimic service size pistols. If you want something light, mostly plastic, basically a tackle box, hiking, and light as a bottle of water, then it is very worth it. 16 rounds to boot. It seems to the outdoorsman that you can treat it like a good multi tool, might come in handy for the price, and you can’t go wrong with that application.

3. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Thanks for the info. The slide is similar to the Smith and Wesson model 22a that I have with the fixed barrel. It's super accurate but with the red dot on mine it's cumbersome to carry but a blast to shoot!
    The light weight that you talked about is attractive to me as well as the higher capacity. Another thing is the adjustable sights. Seems like they might be nice sights. Did you like the sights on it? Were they easy to see?

4. Danno

Danno 6 pointer

Just curious but have you heard about the Taurus tx22? Cheap, light, amazing, and also holds 16 rounds.

NOCAMST likes this.
  5. raidergson

raidergson 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    The rear is adjustable, and pretty rudimentary, not near like a nice target or combat, but every bit as good as Ruger Mark standards or any other of that time. It is low profile, so fits its purpose just fine. The front is a windage adjustable bright large fiber optic, much like the PMR 30, not for target precision, but in a hurry and dim situations, very easy to see like the large hi- viz sights currently being implemented on other pistols. Overall the sights are really just what it needs, IMO. Once sighted in I do think that some blue 242 would make the sights stone tight.

6. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    Danno I don't guess I have heard of these. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the head up on them.
    Raidergson thanks for letting me know. Sounds like decent sights for what your paying. I didn't realize the front sight is adjustable for bondage.

raidergson likes this.
  7. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    I checked out the Taurus tx 22 the other day. It's a nice 22 for sure but couldn't get over the fact they have plastic magazines!! That seems crazy to me.lol Overall though I liked it. Other than the magazine thing.