kdfwr license customer survey

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by woodsman92, Jul 31, 2019.

1. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I did it. I’m fine with them making us check in all species. The data is needed.

BowOnly and 1wildcatfan like this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I submitted a comment, (everyone can thank me later), it they want to get serious about collecting harvest data, do like NM. If you don't submit your previous years data by species by a certain date, you can't hunt that species the upcoming year.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Requiring you to do work for them.

aaronc likes this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    You mean “work” (read: support) wildlife that’s held in public trust for all the citizens of the state?

muddhunter likes this.
  5. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    didnt hunt last year, so only answered just a few questions.

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have a problem with it for this reason... There are many people, like my Dad, that don't have a smart phone, and have no access to internet, nor do they desire either. A mailed, or emailed, survey after season would be fine for their small game information.

7. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    To hell with that crap!

I don't mind the deer or turkey or animals that you don't normally kill every hunt. That will end up just being another revenue source as people forget to call squirrels , ducks and rabbits in.

Make it voluntary if you want but not mandatory!

Dark Cloud, MoMan and aaronc like this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've been thinking about this... What meaningful information could they get, other than number of rabbits taken, how long did you hunt, how many did you jump, County, and was it public or private land? I guess the culmination of data across the state could be more or less meaningful, but we know when we hunt, depending on where we are going, what to expect. We have places where we think a half day hunt will result in 4-5 jumped rabbits, and places we think will result in 8-10, or more. There are so many variables involved in small game, much more so than deer or turkey, IMHO.

9. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I completed the survey and also left a comment at the end saying I believe telechecking all species would be a mistake and give them misleading results because most people I know wouldnt abide to call in every squirell they kill. I recommend if doing anything make a mandatory survey at the end of each season for just a season total. No system would be perfect but I believe a end of season survey would be best for small game

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    And probably help them more in the long run.... If I'm not mistaken, they collected data on small game numbers from rural mail carriers in the past.

11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I received the survey, through an e-mail, yesterday morning. Filled it out. As for reporting harvest data, I receive a harvest data sheet on Squirrels (Number of hunts, hours hunted, Squirrels seen, Squirrels harvested, Species of Squirrel harvested. Been doing this for a few year now. Gives the State population trends on Squirrels. They should do the same with Rabbits too.

KY Swamp Beagler and 1wildcatfan like this.
  12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Got it. Filled it out.

davers likes this.
  13. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I just don't want to have to fill out any surveys when I'm up at 5am, trying to get my license and get out the door before the sun comes up. Between going through all the current steps, my morning constitution, and loading the truck, there just isn't much time left.

EC likes this.
  14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    That's about right, yes. Its busy and "nosey" work. Hardly anyone hunts squirrels or rabbits these days and other small game. Why further encumber "citizens" with the burden of "clerical requirements" when hunter numbers are declining?

15. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    how do you receive a survey on squirrel harvest? I hadnt heard of anyone getting one of those