KDFWR issues. Not sure where to put this so here it is.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Drahts, Aug 5, 2019.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Who would have thought that the Mensa genius named shrader would have gotten a story wrong. :rolleyes:

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Ed, I’m not sure how you can come to the conclusion that Strader got it wrong if you admittedly said you won’t listen to the full show. Do you really think that every part of what was said was wrong?

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    No...just that he presented an agenda. I could be 100% wrong, but I think to allege malfeasance, to the level he is insinuating, is ridiculous. I think people like to hear themselves bitch and that cat is a champion at crying foul. He always seems hysterical. I look forward to the kdfw response. I think ol buddy will have egg on his face.....but he will conveniently shift to another issue in order to perpetually grind his axe.

KYBOY likes this.
  4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Upkeep of the elk cost nothing. Just like upkeep of the deer herd costs nothing. What's the upkeep on the WMA's? What is there to actually upkeep? And the elk that were given away were given away. There's no return on that investment for the sportsmen of the state. AW didn't pay for them and they're not going to let anyone hunt them. So where exactly is the upside to the sportsmen?

Munson and Dark Cloud like this.
  5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I tend to lean towards this. I listened to Straders podcast for a while, but finally couldn't stand it any longer. The guy trips over his own words so much its almost funny, if he weren't completely serious all the time. I almost think he does his show just to get people fired up, make friends of them, and get better places to hunt and fish.

If he's still kicking in 5-10 years, I'd like to call in and ask him why the deer herd wasn't decimated by crossbows like he stated it would be.

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    There is some maintenance. The one I frequent does get habitat improvements made to it via mowing and crop planting, mostly sunflowers for dove. Also gates, access roads and such need regular maintenance. I'll grant its not much, but it is something.

I agree that a wild animal doesn't need maintenance though.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Except that it wasn't him that making the allegations. It was Safari Club, LKS, and one other organization that was making the allegations and had the meetings with the Commissioners to get the information. They contacted Strader to be on his show to present the information.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I understand the show format

9. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    You have general habitat maintenance and controlling invasive plant species cost money. Plus, I’ve never been to a WMA that didn’t have some trash that some lazy person left behind. In the western end of the state every time it floods a plethora of trash floats in and gets left behind.

10. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

So is the habitat maintenance directly related to the elk or something that is going to happen anyway ?

ptbrauch likes this.
  11. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’d say that would depend on what group is providing assistance/manpower. You have species-specific groups that provide assistance, but numerous species benefit. There’s always maintenance cost (monetary or sweat equity) associated with upkeep. From my understanding autumn olive encroachment is an issue for elk habitat.

12. erwin1

erwin1 10 pointer

Nov 6, 2008
    lewis co
    Hunters being able to hunt doesn’t stop elk viewing. Elk viewing area stops hunters from hunting. So I’m going to say we’ve been singled out.

13. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    I've known KDFRwas corrupt for YEARS and one of the biggest reasons I never moved back home after the Army. I had a HS friend who had elk on a private farm since at LEAST 1989. Within a year or 2 after they opened elk hunting up, they slaughtered and threw away 28 Rlk carcasses(from my buddies land) because the were worried about the elk escaping, joining the larger herds, and wiping out the entire population. This sounds great with the exception of a few small details...They NEVER tested even ONE animal to ensure they were healthy/diseased, didn't give the meat to anyone signed up for a he hunters for the hungry, and most prevalently, never reimbursed my buddy, nor his family one cent for destroying YEARS of hard work establishing them on their property...

aaronc likes this.
  14. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    ,.....sounds like typical government to me. Get out of our way..... We can do it better...We know better than you......don't be making us look bad...don't know you or your friend but if true it surprises me none.

15. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    I'm not sure if you can research it, but it was in Rowan Co., Ky, near the licking river. I'm not sure exactly WHEN they killed them all, as I was either in Tx or Iraq. I do know they sold it last year with only deer and agricultural type animals for somewhere in the neighborhood of $225,000. It was sold as probate, as my buddy died of an overdose...