KDFWR issues. Not sure where to put this so here it is.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Drahts, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Lol this corruption has probably been going rampant since kdfwr was formed. It won't stop anytime soon people bitch and moan ,me included but in the end it all washes to the side and it starts anew.

aaronc and drakeshooter like this.
  2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    So I listened to the Strader podcast and here's a summary.... KDFWR essentially used it's resources--time, employees, equipment, etc to capture elk that were then transferred to a private entity. The private company will/is charge the public to view these elk. They also get to keep any elk offspring. This was all done without the Commission's knowledge and was authorized by a member of the KY Tourism Cabinet, who was acting Commissioner during this time. So basically it's a money grab by the tourism cabinet.

A little history... When Gassett was commissioner, he was reprimanded and retired because he authorized the stocking of fish from the department to private waters. It was found that the dept cannot give public resources to private entities. Whoever was the elk transfer approver was on the board, or something at the time of the Gassett findings. So it should have been known to them that this was illegal.

Also, in the past 10 years, the dept has transferred about 700 elk to other entities. All the details are readily available for the elk transferred to MO, WI, and VA. However, for the elk that went to Appalachian Wildlife Foundation over the past 3 years, the details are hard to come by. And of the about 700, the greatest percentage of them went to AWF (38%). And it's modeled that of the 241 transferred, with the birth/mortality rates figured in, they now have what amounts to about 500-600 elk now.

So the take away is that if you think the elk numbers are low and were upset that the dept was transferring elk to other states, you should really be upset about this because the dept essentially just gave elk away. And also, in favoring tourism over hunting, are reducing the available places where hunting the elk can occur--at least 2 WMA's have been shut down to elk hunting in favor of elk viewing. The tourism camel has it's nose under the KDFWR tent.

KYBOY and Carl like this.
  3. aaronc

aaronc 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    After reading the OP through several times it simply sounds like the usual bureaucratic sh@t,...who wants to sort all that garbage. We live in the age of the internet. ANY "entity" that would ask for or receive your money through charity or taxes that wants to convince you they are acting in good faith,....can simply open up the check book and post the books. Why wouldn't they.

4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Ed, Peabody isn’t owned by KDFWR. That’s why you pay a fee. There are also properties controlled by the Army Corps, but leased by KDFWR, then there’s land owned by TVA, or other entities but they give access to hunters and anglers.

Iceman summed it up nicely. All hunters and anglers benefit from public land and waters. Said hunter or angler determines how much they personally benefit from it.

All animals in KY are held in public trust. They aren’t owned by KDFWR and therefore can’t be transferred to a private entity. We entrust KDFWR and other government agencies with management of wildlife and public lands and waters. They don’t own them.

5. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Great, jist what we need more friggin tourists!! Except now at the expense of us law abiding sportsmen:mad:. Lots of swamps need drained at the highest level... wish I knew where the plug was:eek:

Brody, Carl and FOWLER2671 like this.
  6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Oh, and the center they're building to show off these elk won't open until 2021.

The center sits on 12,000 acres and will include a zoo. So I don't think they'll allow hunting there.

7. aaronc

aaronc 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Don't mean this in a negative way toward your opinion on KDFWR or whatever but "Management of" in a practical sense in my mind is the same as having "control of". It may not be a legal definition of ownership but when it comes down to it it's basically the same thing.

I like simple,...all the entities and boards and board members and $$ coming from here and going there,...I always walk away thinking it's a shell game. Nothing new, better,..or different. I just don't trust none of them people.

8. I smell outside influences that maybe aren’t in alignment with the best interest of Kentucky sportsmen.

Ataulbe1 and Dark Cloud like this.
  9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    You’d likely see eye-to-eye with the majority of folks that work at KDFWR and find them dedicated to fish and wildlife. It’s the 80/20 rule. You’d agree on 80% of things and be able to discuss the 20% you disagree on.

KDFWR and Tourism and Cabinet leadership is another story. That’s the rub.

drakeshooter, Ataulbe1 and KYBOY like this.
  10. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Thanks for this post. It's all about the $$. Heads need to roll.

drakeshooter and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Peabody is a mix of state owned and leased land.

KYBOY likes this.
  12. aaronc

aaronc 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

You may be correct.

13. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I know about Peabody land. I live about 3 miles from there. I have spent many days there hunting but mostly fishing. I used to go there when you didn't have to have a permit. I wish I was physically able to go there now but all I do is remember the good times.

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

At one time Peabody tried to limit the number of hunters by permits given out by the different mines. I know this because my sister was in charge of the permits on Sinclair mines around the Paradise TVA plant. When that mines shut down and the state took over they went to a quota hunt system for firearms. I don't think many of the locals went to the mines office and got the free permits just went on as they had done for years. She said it would be the same groups year after year from eastern Kentucky that came in for permits for the most part. Lot of crying when they first came up with the paid for permits that the state put in place by locals that had hunted there for many years for free. Ken over your way probably did the same thing as Sinclair and others that now make up Peabody WMA.