KDFWR hiring conservation officers!!

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by luvtohunt, Mar 1, 2017.

1. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Heard on the radio a couple of times in the past couple days that the KDFWR is asking for applications for conservation officers in Ky. Wonder how many they are hiring?? Anyone heard anything more on this?

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

3. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
  4. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I second the motion on low pay. $29,900 ain't crap for anyone in LE, and the state is known for paying peanuts to pretty much all their employees. From probation and parole to state corrections to KVE, and even biologists...pay sucks.

My B.S. is in fisheries and wildlife science (or, will be when I graduate next year). I really wanted to stay in KY when I retired from my current job in 2020, but with other states paying much better, that's not an option. TN, MO, and IA pay a lot more for biologists, and are comparable with cost of living.

Until the state pays better, folks will continue to work elsewhere.

5. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Low pay & training equal to that of a navy seal. Just not a lot of folks out there willing to do it.

6. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I know they get decent training after the DOCJT basic - but it could hardly be considered anything approaching a special operations team regime.

The DT portion I've seen isn't something I would enjoy. Full duty gear and the deep end of the pool. No thanks! My vest and associated gear weighs around 30 pounds and is far from something thst enhances mobility. I have no desire to grapple in deep water with it on.

7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    35 counties and 25 positions. Helps but still tough. I got a family member considering getting out of the field with them because they have tried for a couple years to take their guns from them. No thanks!!!

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    It's why I left the state. We were 50th in pay out of 50 states in our respective field. DCT teams and worked SEG for three years straight then had to fight to get a new uniform when I got blood on it

9. zone1

zone1 8 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    The one's I know are overpaid for what they do.