KDFW survey on grouse seasons and limits this week only

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Bee, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I received an internet email survey form the KDFW--once I looked at it I realized it was about the grouse situation (yes, I know, too little too late) . Anyway, the survey offers some alternative option preferences grouse seasons from non public lands versus private lands, and some potential check in requirements through telechek for each grouse killed (if any!!). And the potential reduction of daily limits to two birds per day.

IT IS THIS WEEK ONLY to respond--If you did not receive the survey, and want to participate contact [email protected]

I filled it out and returned it. It is ironic to me that ten years or more after the egg has been scrambled in the Ky Grouse World someone thinks regulation changes will affect the population decimation we have observed. One of the great mismanagement/lack of management debacles of modern game management all the way around IMO. Would be (and would have been ) far more effective for grouse sake to find out specifically the cause for the decline , as opposed to to trying to regulate the species after the crash. I do realize it is a complex issue, and have commented several time over a decade or so about the need to address this species loss, but from all appearances nothing was done on this front for more than a decade. I do realize this is a non revenue species, and funds are limited etc, but it should never have been ignored. 2 cents worth

2. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I warned of problems with the population just after year 2000. I was hunting from the northern range to the southern and was witnessing the population drop in the north . I was told multiple times about how I didn't understand habitat or cycles etc. What it all comes down to is at that time they didn't give a rats hind end about anything but the big 3. They would definitely have to prove it to me that they are even capable of doing anything habitat wise to turn a species around . I have lived my whole life here and am yet to see anything done but turn animals loose and dare you to kill them until they build their own population. As far as the grouse problem it has left nothing but disdain from me . Not for the fact that they couldn't turn it around but because they didn't even acknowledge that there was even a problem until the birds were gone. All the while me and many others telling them that there was a problem worth looking at for 15 plus years.
    I was personally talking to Pennsylvania biologists who were working and looking into it just after 2000 . It wasn't a secret, they didn't give a rats.

grouseguy likes this.
  3. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I gave em my 2 cents wort . I'll never trust em. Its beyond pathetic.

grouseguy likes this.
  4. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

For the exact reasons my friends ribsplitter and JonDunn stated above ... the KDFWR can kiss my ass.

We told them for years what was happening and they made excuses and told us we weren’t seeing what we were seeing. I suppose they were too busy covering up the corruption of the Bennett and Gassett years. Now I have ZERO respect for the KDFWR or their regulations.

Last year was the first time in 50 years I didn’t buy a KY hunting license. I hunted my own farm or out of state and may do the same this year.

Screw’em and their little survey, too.

5. zone1

zone1 8 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Quit grouse hunting years ago. Too old and out of shape. I would think that turkeys and yotes had a lot to do with the decline. I know you have probably talked about it before but what was the major factor for the decline?

6. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    If they don't pick up the amount of habitat work and the amount of predator control they are doing or encouraging, they will make zero progress. If they get their way and reduce season on bag limits, it will never be re-addressed again even if numbers get back to descent numbers. If you give that inch they will take the mile!

bondhu likes this.
  7. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Reducing the bad limit on a bird that most people can't get the bag limit in a whole season for, now that's real bright. And these bright people are the one's who are trying to fix a problem, some real critical thinkers.

bondhu and grouseguy like this.
  8. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    They believe that loss of habitat and West Nile Virus are the 2 major factors.

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Will they open season on red tail hawks?

10. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Plenty of habitat in east Ky where I live, I've seen or heard grouse for the past 10 or 15 years, here in Knott Co. Used to live in Floyd Co years ago saw plenty of grouse there before I moved to Knott. Habitat still the same in both places, I'm thinking west nile is doin' them in.

11. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    th.jpg
    To go with your whine.

12. I grew up in Floyd and we had grouse there and in Lawrence Co where we also hunted. The last grouse I saw was in Floyd about 20y ago. Cause for decline? Ask yourself what has changed drastically since I was a young man in the 60's and 70's? The biggest variable is the introduction of the Coyote. They crossed the Mississippi the winters of 77 & 78 when it froze over. They spread at a rapid rate and now inhabit all the eastern states and every county of KY. A ground nesting bird like grouse or quail are very vulnerable to these predators. They are too small to fight off the yotes and while they can fly away this leaves all of the eggs open to depredation. No eggs no birds. Simple, non-scientific analysis. West Nile may or may not reduce them further but until we control the coyotes we cannot expect to have many Grouse. As for the bag limits? It could be 100 birds per day and you would still be hard pressed to bag one bird even with an ace pointer at your heel.

Why are turkeys not affected? Well they are to a degree but a pi$$ed off female turkey can be a fearsome foe to all but the most determined coyote. Turkeys may lay as many as 18 eggs in a nest at once. Sure some turkeys succumb to yots, especially the small hatchlings. If West Nile or habitat is the issue why has it not also wiped out all of the Turkeys?

We need year round 24-7 coyote hunting. Night hunts, poison baits, etc.

BirdBuster, JR in KY and Feedman like this.
  13. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Turkey numbers in my area dropped bad in the last 5 years, no little ones.

14. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    15 years ago there were 20 turkeys in every field, now, rarely any.

15. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Another good culprit is raccoons. Bad nest robbers and nobody hunts them anymore like they did 20 years ago. My game camera has more raccoons and coyotes than deer or turkey and I don’t even put out corn.

Gforcetrivers likes this.