kayaks

notimlmit

12 pointer
Feb 7, 2007
Barren co.
Hey guys thought I would throw this up for someone; I tried to do a search on this forum about the kayaks used for fishing that I saw on here some time back but none would pull up. My question is do any of you know where I might could find an elie horizon 100 angler kayak? I have delt with gander mountain and they tell me they can not get one even though they have the 120 style. Bass pro doesn't carry it either, have tried searches on the pc but coming up empty also, can only get the dealers and little or no info from them either. Is this one type so hard to find or am I just over looking something. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
Call Dunham's Sporting Goods here in Somerset. THey have a pretty good selection of Kayaks for our size city and some look similar to RVTech's who fishes out of his. The number is (606) 677-1123

www.dunhamssports.com

It's in the old Walmart building right off S. Hwy. 27 around light numbers 18-19.

deertalker

Banned
Jul 22, 2008
You should really look into Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 or 120. I had a 120 and bought it at Nat's in BG.

http://www.paddleva.com/ is the best place to purchase one. I could have one shipped to Glasgow for $175 less than what i paid.

bnt5

8 pointer
Dec 21, 2004
Burlington KY
You might want to look at the Jackson Kayaks Coosa, it has been designed as a strictly fishing kayak and it allows the angler to stand while in it. I have a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 sit on top and really like it. Good luck.

JeepComanche

6 pointer
Feb 8, 2007
Hopkins Co.
Can't go wrong with a Tarpon. It's my understanding that BPS sells one that identical to the T120(older model) that is cheaper. I'll try to find a link. Edit Dick's not BPS: http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/showthread.php?t=77882

DSCN2642.jpg

Last edited:

notimlmit

12 pointer
Feb 7, 2007
Barren co.
Thanks guys, I have tried several places by phone today with Duhams being one. They have the pelican castaway 100 which is the same mold as the elie 100. I rather would get the elie because of better material and have been told some of the pelicans have had leak problems which I definetly don't need if I'm out on the water during the cooler winter months. I have found other web sites that carry what I'm looking for but the BBB ggives them all an F rating and I don't want to risk that. I'm willing to drive a good distance if I have to just to get this particular brand. I will keep waiting and watching and thanks for your help.

FG

6 pointer
Aug 30, 2002
Watch materials and try a few yaks. i use one for fishing in teh bay and gulf and want to start using it in KY. I have not ventured out in KY yet. The tarpon get good reviews and I like the one I tried. very stable and lots of room. I have a madriver synergy 12. really like the room, but it is not as stable as the tarpon. What I have noticed is that a big yak gets real small when you have all those treble hooks flying around or catch fish with teeth. I think I remember people talking about native yaks/canoes and have seen some of those. They are a nice blend of both.

Gixxerjoe04

10 pointer
Dec 14, 2010
Lexington, KY
River City Kayak is where i got mine, they're in Louisville there's also canoe kentucky which is in Frankfort. Both have a pretty good selection and might be able to order what you need but not sure, but i hope you have some $$ because the good ones arent cheap. I have a moken 10 by feelfree, i just bought it this year and have only been able to go out on it once because of the weather but it was a lot of fun. It was defiantly a workout the time we went because of the wind.

Pat

6 pointer
May 7, 2009
Stay away from pelican. You get what you pay. Buy a canoe. Alot easier to fish from and more uses. Plus you can take me with you

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
I rather would get the elie because of better material and have been told some of the pelicans have had leak problems which I definetly don't need if I'm out on the water during the cooler winter months.

You are going to get water in it no matter what you do. I wear breathable waders in the winter.

But a leak is no good. The Pelican that a buddy of mine has doesn't track straight for snit. You constantly have to fight it to keep it in a straight line. Something to keep in mind too. You don't want to spend all the time you should be fishing trying to keep yourself off the bank or aligned so you can fish.

notimlmit

12 pointer
Feb 7, 2007
Barren co.
You are going to get water in it no matter what you do. I wear breathable waders in the winter.

But a leak is no good. The Pelican that a buddy of mine has doesn't track straight for snit. You constantly have to fight it to keep it in a straight line. Something to keep in mind too. You don't want to spend all the time you should be fishing trying to keep yourself off the bank or aligned so you can fish.
I figured being so close to the water that I would be getting some water on me, I have done my homework as far as what I'm looking for. I know there are some really great yaks out there it's just this particular elie has everything I'm looking for. I like the big back space it has as well as being able to move somewhat in the pit. I have been told the pelicans have had a history of leak problems and the company is hard to contact when a problem occurs. I actually found one of the elies on the net but after doing a BBB search found one should be cautious of them so I will wait and hopefully Gander M. will get one before the summer is out so I can get learn what I need to as far as yaking. I have actually went through 40+ net searches as well as phone calls and still coming up empty, I can't believe how tough it is to find this one certain yak. The elie is supposidly built triple tough and carries a good warrenty. I do thank you guys for all your help.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER

12 pointer
Jul 19, 2006
Las Montanas
For all you guys with yaks, what rivers and creeks are your home waters?

I'm driving across the state saturday just to run home and grab my yak and bring it back (6 hour round trip). Excited to get out on Floyds Fork this summer. My mom said "well you can't take that thing back with you where will you keep it in that little apartment??" In the living room of course.

Last edited:

deertalker

Banned
Jul 22, 2008
I don't know much about the Elie but will check it out. Please don't buy a pelican unless you are certain that you can catch a ride on the back of one back to the the access.

I'm certain a quick search will yield horrible stories of pelican kayaks. Buy once, cry once.Wilderness Systems!!

Latest posts