Kansas

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by tbob131, Dec 25, 2008.

1. tbob131

tbob131 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2008
    elizabethtown
    Leaving for Kansas on the 31st. 6 guys and 14 dogs. Can't wait to get away hopefully, we will have some luck. Going to Nekoma, anyone ever been there or been close. We have 2000 private acres to hunt and will probably also hunt some wiha areas. If anyone has any info or guidance it would be appreciated. My first trip. Thanks.

2. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
  3. tbob131

tbob131 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2008
    elizabethtown
    quail and pheasants maybe a prarie chicen if lucky.

4. chillyweather

chillyweather Fawn

Feb 18, 2008
    Watch out for sandspurs. I hunted the Norton area just north of Nekoma for my first KS trip this year. Hit sandspurs on a few days. Either had to put boots on the dogs or pack it up and move. Good luck! It's a great place to be!

5. tbob131

tbob131 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2008
    elizabethtown
    got boots hope we don't need them though. Did you guys have any luck?

6. HighBrass Setters

HighBrass Setters Fawn

Dec 26, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Tbob:

Hello from a new guy...I have enjoyed your posts about KY quail...

I hunt Kansas every year...as my father and I have ground there...
    We have farms in north central & south east Kanasas.

We hunted there November 14-22 w/ fair to good results.
    The weather was a bit warm and roughly 50% of the crops still in.
    We killed several pheasants in standing milo and cover adjacent to crops...
    Also moved 4-6 coveys per day...

You might want to explore these public areas:

1. Cedar Bluff WMA...south west of Hays...good mix of crops, shelterbelts and crp grass...

2. Pratt Sandhills WMA...west of Pratt...excellent area for quail...over 5K acres of low rolling hills, mixed w/ plum thicket, shelterbelts and pasture...I hunted here 2 years ago w/ 2 setters and 6 pointers moved 8-12 coveys per day!!

Since this is your first trip:
    1. Look for a good mix of crop (milo is best) and weedy cover.
    2. Kansas quail love plum thickets!!
    3. Old Abandoned fram sites often yield a covey or 2...
    4. Look for areas that large groups of hunter might avoid...ie long walks from truck...small patches of cover...
    5. The WIHA program is fair to good...over 1 million acres available to hunt.
    6. If you are not finding success in a local area...pick up and move down the road a few miles...
    7. Most Kansas land owners will let you hunt...if you ask.
    8. County plat maps are great for contacting the landowners...

Best wishes and please post a full report upon return.

HB

7. tbob131

tbob131 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2008
    elizabethtown
    Thanks for the info Highbrass. I hope when I return I have a good story to tell. I am going today to purchase a new digital camera so that I can get someone to post a few pics for me, Since i'm to stupid to do it for my self. Hope everyone had a merry x-mas and hopefully I will have a good new year in ks.

8. tbob131

tbob131 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2008
    elizabethtown
    Got back from kansas yesterday. We killed 68 quail 18 pheasant and 7 rabbits. Went rabbit hunting on a 50 mph win afternoon. Had an excellent time, all dogs came home healthy as did all hunters. Quail numbers were lower than we hoped and it took us a while to figure out the pheasants, very crafty nervous creatures. Averaged about four coveys of quail per day, and probably saw 50 to a 100 phasants per day. Roosters would not hold for the dogs and most kills were on drives or just plain luck. But it was fun and hope to do it again. The place we stayed was very accomodating and affordable. Cost us 60$ per night stayed, we hunted 3 and 1/2 days and stayed 3 nights. Can't wait to go back, hopefully next year. Hope to get pics up soon waiting for my tennessee buddy to e-mail then to me.:D

9. APS

APS Fawn

tbob,

Congratulations on a good hunt. I stayed in Pratt a few years ago and had a great hunt. We hunted all public land and found plenty of birds, mostly around Tyner, KS afew miles northeast of Pratt. Hope to go back sometime. I think I am going to go back to the UP next year though.

10. tbob131

tbob131 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2008
    elizabethtown
    I don't deer hunt but if I did I would definetely go to the place we stayed. We saw numerous nice bucks and one monster. Probably 170 or better. his rates on deer hunting were really reasonable 100 per day 5 day minimum that includes lodging. If anyone is interested I can get the number.

11. KYHeadHunter02

KYHeadHunter02 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2008
    20+ ft up
    pm me that number tbob, I would appreciate it. Congrads on having a good hunt btw

12. tbob131

tbob131 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2008
    elizabethtown
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  13. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    Very nice hunt. I haven't seen 68 quail since I left Kansas 7 years ago! Looks like it was worht the trip.

14. dug1976

dug1976 6 pointer

May 19, 2005
    richmond, ky
    Tbob if you don't mind please post name of the place and number . Thanks Doug

15. tbob131

tbob131 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2008
    elizabethtown
    Bruce Kershner Rush Center, Ks 785-372-4361