Just reading and hooked

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Lonn, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Lonn

Lonn Fawn

Mar 9, 2003
    Elizabethtown, KY, USA.
    You guys make this coyote hunting sound pretty good. Just bought a 223. Wanting to go coyote hunting, never tried it. I live in Hardin Co. and have a farm in Hart, no open land. What do I need to get started and give me some general procedures (time of day, type of calls, etc. I have a nice "deer house" up in the air on my farm that over looks about 5 acers of somewhat cleared land. Will this work or do I need to be in open land? Looking forward to this. Oh, it is nearing middle march, still some good coyote hunting?--Lonn

2. Lonn hi there, so ya wanna start predator hunting huh? Let me warn you first. Like you, I wanted to call in coyotes, bobcats, fox etc. So I went out and bought me a call, even got a new rifle, read books about calling....if I could find one at the time. I have been married four times, owned 100 rifles, about 20 4x4 trucks and traveled a million miles, all in the name of predator hunting. By the way, it all started 40 years ago. So before you get all involved in this calling stuff, you better think it over. If you must do it I'll try to help a little. I'm from out west and I don't know much about the terrain you're going to be hunting in. If you have the money, buy a remote caller, if not any electronic caller well work, even a cassette player. Buy a cottontail distress sound thats always a good one to start off with, they all work but thats a good old standby. I think most guys make stands way to long, I make 10 to 15 min stands for coyotes. I have hunted them in compitition for many years, so I'm use to trying to get as many as I can. The best way to do that is make lots of stands. Best time to predator hunt is at night ( check your state laws) if you can only hunt during the day, then early morning and evening is best but you can call predators all day, just alot harder in the middle of the day, unless you have a overcast day, light snow or drizzle. No matter what these so called experts tell you, make things simple, don't carry tons of junk you don't need into the field with you. If you can, cover lots of ground and move fast, the more stands you make the better your chances. I forgot one last thing, always pay attention down wind, because most coyotes head in that direction, Good Luck.

3. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    Hey Lonn,it will try you'r patience more than any kind of hunting,it ain't easy.You might see 30% of coyotes that you call in,but just one will hook you for life.They are about the smartest and hardest to hunt critters i've ever dealt with,i'm 0 for 6 this year and i hunt them primarily after gun deer season.

Fields are o.k. if you have a creek or brushy draws in them otherwise coyotes will use the woodline or ditches to come to you'r calls and thats where you lose about 40% of sightings.I hunt mostly brushy areas,and thickets allowing myself about a max shot of 80yrds.They are alot less weary in the thick stuff and although their harder to spot they are easier to hold.Cottontail is a good call to start out with but if you don't get any response try any of the various other calls,especially fawn in distress in a couple months.

I would stay on a calling stand no less than 45mins.,i've lost 4 this winter due to leaving to quickly and spooking them off.I've heard parvo got more than its fair share this year and i can't disagree considering my luck so just don't expect to call in a bunch the first or everytime out,it's still hunting and in my opinion the most challenging of all.Also decoys help alot,whether its homemade or a fancy $50 model,coyotes will set down and watch you call,if you have a decoy they will watch it instead,however i have no doubt if they see you calling they think more than twice about eating you anyway!

Good luck and keep the faith,because you ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh yeah the other 30% you don't see is because they do exactly the opposite of what you read,are told,see in movies,or patterns you think you have established.

4. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    Hey Lonn,it will try you'r patience more than any kind of hunting,it ain't easy.You might see 30% of coyotes that you call in,but just one will hook you for life.They are about the smartest and hardest to hunt critters i've ever dealt with,i'm 0 for 6 this year and i hunt them primarily after gun deer season.

Fields are o.k. if you have a creek or brushy draws in them otherwise coyotes will use the woodline or ditches to come to you'r calls and thats where you lose about 40% of sightings.I hunt mostly brushy areas,and thickets allowing myself about a max shot of 80yrds.They are alot less weary in the thick stuff and although their harder to spot they are easier to hold.Cottontail is a good call to start out with but if you don't get any response try any of the various other calls,especially fawn in distress in a couple months.

I would stay on a calling stand no less than 45mins.,i've lost 4 this winter due to leaving to quickly and spooking them off.I've heard parvo got more than its fair share this year and i can't disagree considering my luck so just don't expect to call in a bunch the first or everytime out,it's still hunting and in my opinion the most challenging of all.Also decoys help alot,whether its homemade or a fancy $50 model,coyotes will set down and watch you call,if you have a decoy they will watch it instead,however i have no doubt if they see you calling they think more than twice about eating you anyway!

Good luck and keep the faith,because you ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh yeah the other 30% you don't see is because they do exactly the opposite of what you read,are told,see in movies,or patterns you think you have established.

5. The last post was interesting to say the least.

6. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Lonn, Welcome to KYhunting.com!

Hardin County huh? Me too.

Richard Burton

7. Lonn, if you have the time, I run a predator calling school out west. It's called the (High Desert Predator Hunting School) Go to the Google search eng and look it up. The address and phone number has chanced, ( I moved)if you'd like to find out more, let me know, Good Hunting.