Just got a bird dog- training tips

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Vaught-Farms, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Vaught-Farms

Vaught-Farms Spike

Oct 7, 2008
    centertown
    Just got a bird dog he just turned 3 months old been working on woa command for all you bird hunters what are somthings that i should do to work with him. and tips or training aid books dvds would be great!

2. dug1976

dug1976 6 pointer

May 19, 2005
    richmond, ky
    bird dog

For what it's worth. Let him be a puppy. Teach him here and no. Socialize with him. Let him be in alot of situations outside of hunting.Let him chase buttefly's, grass hoppers, and his tail. don't push too hard to fast. I know your excited and you want him to be a finished dog as quickly as possible. I have a nine month old EP puppy, I'm right with you brother. There is alot of great videos out there. You can find them at any of the large hunting supply companies. Many of them have reviews you can read. One set is good, Puppy development 1 & 2. I would suggest you call Dave Jones Jonesy's Gun Dogs. Berea, Ky 859-985-2918. He would be happy to talk with you. He will put you on the right track. My 9 month is with him right now. Great guy, very patient, and gets great results. Hope this helps. Doug

3. J-ROD

J-ROD Fawn

Oct 14, 2008
    Bowling Green
    I have an 11 month old Black Lab. Got her at 7 weeks. She is hiper, but I started with her fairly young. Dug is right though let him be a puppy. I used a book to train my lab called Game Dog by Richard A. Wolters, it was great. He also has a few others, Water Dog, Gun Dog, Family Dog, and Home Dog. I used his training but not neccesarily his time line. He had great tips but he wanted the dog to be doing backflips for you at 9 weeks. But all in all the book was great and now I have an awesome bird dog, trained by me which is kinda personaly gratifying. :D But if you want to start, the puppy needs to recognize its name, so when ever you address the puppy say its name before you talk to it so it starts to remember thats who he is. After he starts recognizing his name, then the basic and simple commands start. Sit, Come, Stay, No, outside... But right now he's just getting his bearings, one tip at this age is spend as much time as you can with him, just get him out and let him explore the world. Hope that helps! ;)

4. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    What breed of dog?

Patience and repetition are two key words to adhere to. Personally, I begin with my dogs early, but still emphasize letting them be puppies. I use a hair brush for teaching retrieving skills (and soft-mouth) and intro them to wings immediately. Then basic commands are incorporated and a slow intro to gun and water starting around 3 months of age. I started this early with my male. I didn't get his mother until she was 16 weeks, so add a month or 2 to these numbers. At 6 months things should begin coming together then it's intro to birds. Each pup has a learning curve, so reading the dog dictates progression.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  5. Vaught-Farms

Vaught-Farms Spike

Oct 7, 2008
    centertown
    english setter hes tree months got him started on quail wings

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Run, don't walk, and buy Larry Mueller's "Speed Train Your Pointing Dog". You can order it or find it in the big box book stores. It even has a chapter on folks like us that didn't get their pup at the magical 8-week period.

7. matrobw

matrobw 6 pointer

Jan 31, 2006
    Louisville
    I second the recommendation on the Richard Wolters book. I have a pointing lab and used his book. "Gun Dog". Followed it to the letter. Very easy to follow and use. My boy is a dream to watch under a gun.

8. spotty 11

spotty 11 Fawn

Nov 15, 2008
    fleming co
    whoa command is one of the easy ones to start pups on at feeding time just hold them back comanding whoa the hole time gently leting the pup go at every comand until pup can stand at whoa by its self releasing to feed after pup has whoaed somthing i still do eveynite at feed time my dog is 5.

9. I second this.
    I want add take your time be patient let the pup learn at his pace. Don't make mistakes, you don't want to have to fix something you created. Be soft and positive. Don't get loud or harsh. This can set you back months in yard work. So no matter how aggravated you get don't show it to the pup.
    Always try to end a training session on a positive note. If he does it right stop right there love him up and put him up. Leave him wanting more.

10. Jonesy's Gun Dogs

Jonesy's Gun Dogs 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2006
    Berea
    The books an videos dont tell what to watch for, or what to do if this or that happens. Everything we do with a dog....wether starting, training or fixing....happens for a reason, Hopefully its the reason we desire, if its not....what should we do to fix it? A dog will always read your eyes, voice, an touch......we need to decifer what, why and when, to keep the dog in a forward movement with training. Patience is a key word, and read what the dog tells ya. Thanks Jonesy

11. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    I wouldn't worry too much with the whoa right now. Get him exposed to birds. If he's hot on the birds, you're half way there.
    My advice, call Jonesy.
    Jonesy had my setter this summer and he is doing better than I had expected. I have only had him out three times this season but you can see the gears spinning as he is learning to handle wild birds. He is already whoaing himself.

12. Bodacious Britt

Bodacious Britt Spike

Nov 11, 2008
    Stanford
    As everyone else has said let him be a pup, let him learn how to hunt and be independent. I would put the quail wing up and not get it out again. A puppy pointing quail wings is a fun parlor trick but nothing good can come from it. Ultimately bird dogs have to point body scent at first contact.

13. jeff

jeff 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2004
    E-Town ky
    Let the pup get out and explore the outdoors, all the sights and smells. Yard work on come. I would work whoa in the yard, in the house, feeding time, but do it slowly and make it fun for him. Make him stand still for 5 or 10sec. at first then add more time each time you work on it, also give him a release command to let him go. I like to tap him on the head as I give my release command. Go easy until you know that the pup understands what what you want, the if he movers pick him up and put him back where he was. Teach whoa before sit, that way he will not sit when you give him whoa.

If you can find some wild birds let him get into them as much as you can, no shooting, he won't catch them and it's best that he figures that out on his own. Don't whoa him on wild birds, but when he holds point fore even 5sec give a lot of praise. If you use raised quail make sure they and good fly well and don't put them down to hard. Worst thing that can happen and make problems latter on is for the pup to CATCH A BIRD ON THE GROUND. I know this personally from my first bird dog.

Very good book is Training the Sporting Dog by Donald Smith and Ervin E. Jones, covers everything step by step.

Good Luck
    [​IMG]

14. Jonesy's Gun Dogs

Jonesy's Gun Dogs 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2006
    Berea
    There is even a few tricks with card boarding pigeons, or quail, for re use issues. Not a fan of alot of wing flipping, most time it makes a young dog teeter totter...they will lean forward to get it, an then peel back because its gonna fling outta there, the dog tends to get real undecisive on the situation. Thanks Jonesy

15. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    pups

for the first year you take him with you hunting if you have a broke dog thats better but enjoy the dog as a pup after a year and a season of being in the field with you he will take to the training better and learn faster and most of the time while your hunting and you get into your game he will learn real quick he can't catch that game and will start his training on his own.enjoy the pups and let them be pups they make better dogs!