Just curious

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Of course it's a different ball game. It's a different kill % too... Hunting elk or mule deer is still on my bucket list.... I'll probably check that off eventually. But the two experiences are completely different.....But if you get a Ky tag, the success % is way higher than anywhere out west....
Just saying my buddy and his dad don’t put in for the lottery here. They chose to go out west 1 time. They hunted hard. They loved it. They were challenged. They were awe struck by the landscape and vastness. They both killed big bulls. Not giants...but they will reminisce about their hunt together for eternity. They batted .1000. It was something different and that’s what makes it special. Kentucky elk are just blah

Last edited:

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Sounds like a great trip. Heck that’s part of the enjoyment is coming off the mountains back to camp and doing some big time eating. Are you trying to go next trip with them?
So plans are being made. One of the founding guys who has the relationship with the guides is not in good health. The last trip was taxing on him. They are trying to plan something but it’s up in the air. I missed out on something special. Hopefully we can replicate it at some point.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Can hunting elk in ky produce the same memories and awe inspiring wonder that a trip out west can?!? (Subjective I know) My buddy that I own our mason county farm with and the men of his family went out west last year. I unfortunately could not make it due to moving. The pictures, videos, and stories that they shared would be ridiculously tough to beat. I’m pro Kentucky. I was born here, live here, and will die here. This is the only place I will call home. Ever. I’m not sure elk hunting is the same...which is why I no longer take place in the absurdity of what kdfw call an “elk lottery.” Out west seems like a different ball game. A better all around ball game.
Yes and no. Ky elk hunting is unique in its own way. The terrain, scenery and sometimes climate, to me, is the big difference out west. I think western elk hunters would be surprised hunting Ky, in a good way cause it would be totally different for them. Their canyons are our hollers. We have thick mature hardwood forest, they have juniper, pinion pines, or burns.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Of course it's a different ball game. It's a different kill % too... Hunting elk or mule deer is still on my bucket list.... I'll probably check that off eventually. But the two experiences are completely different.....But if you get a Ky tag, the success % is way higher than anywhere out west....
BG do you know what the KY success rates for the last few years? I do not. I’m guessing that there are some places out west where success rates are actually higher but I may be wrong.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
BG do you know what the KY success rates for the last few years? I do not. I’m guessing that there are some places out west where success rates are actually higher but I may be wrong.
Bull success rate is still pretty good. Cow, not so much. DIY success is very low, as well as public land. Our overall bull success rate is higher than any state out west. I believe our overall success rate is as high as any state out west, but bull results are for sure. Crazy thing is, success rates were 80% up until 2013-2014 or so... Our cow percentage is really down. The fact that we've killed more bulls than cows the last four years (over twice as many in 2020) should scream at those in charge, but it doesn't appear to even whisper at them.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Bull success rate is still pretty good. Cow, not so much. DIY success is very low, as well as public land. Our overall bull success rate is higher than any state out west. I believe our overall success rate is as high as any state out west, but bull results are for sure. Crazy thing is, success rates were 80% up until 2013-2014 or so... Our cow percentage is really down. The fact that we've killed more bulls than cows the last four years (over twice as many in 2020) should scream at those in charge, but it doesn't appear to even whisper at them.
Guess a person could look at the bull & cow totals on telecheck and divide by the total number of bull & cow tags allocated to get the success rates.