Just curious

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, May 26, 2021.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don’t see how this is true but then again I’ve never been out west. Just seems to me that surely you’d drop big money unless you rough camped and did DIY. If any of you all got inexpensive out west options that would probably be a nice thread to share.

2. TIM BROWN

TIM BROWN Fawn

Feb 12, 2018
    South shore KY
    Every year for a Bull firearms tag no luck still have my Kentucky Elk Patch. I think I am one of about 200 that have been in it every year. running out of time getting old and sick.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Has to be DIY.

xbokilla likes this.
  4. Woodrow

Woodrow Fawn

Dec 21, 2013
    After ~3rd year of entering, I was drawn for Bull Elk rifle in 2019. Hunted w an outfitter for 5 days in Unit 2. Never saw an elk. Wrote a post about my experience on this site if interested. I will get back in when allowed in '22. May never draw again... but...maybe!

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

The firearms tag is just tough. I understand if that’s a persons best option. My dad who is 79 has always just put in firearms. I always did that one and cow archery. Never have applied for all 4. I figured the cow archery (either sex now) gave me the best chance and Bull Gun was like hitting the lotto and I’ve been drawn twice for archery.

6. spanky116

spanky116 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2005
    Garrad County, KY
    I'm sorry I should have said DIY. I've had a few different sets of friends go out and camp. They said it's not to bad of a price.

xbokilla likes this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Even a DIY would be $1500 at the bare minimum, not even sure you could go for that. Tags are at least $500-$600, more in some places, + travel, food, gear.

NOCAMST, littlebear and RLWEBB like this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yeah, even with driving, and DIY, you're looking at $3K to hunt anywhere out west. The KY guides figured that out... They were way too cheap early on. The good guides are worth the money....

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Can hunting elk in ky produce the same memories and awe inspiring wonder that a trip out west can?!? (Subjective I know) My buddy that I own our mason county farm with and the men of his family went out west last year. I unfortunately could not make it due to moving. The pictures, videos, and stories that they shared would be ridiculously tough to beat. I’m pro Kentucky. I was born here, live here, and will die here. This is the only place I will call home. Ever. I’m not sure elk hunting is the same...which is why I no longer take place in the absurdity of what kdfw call an “elk lottery.” Out west seems like a different ball game. A better all around ball game.

Tankt, rabbit dawg and littlebear like this.
  10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    100% true. I’ve done a bunch of diy hunts myself too. I’ve done some a little less than that and some a little more. Splitting fuel with buddies helps a bunch. If I’m going to choose spending $3-6k on an big game hunt it would be hands down out west for sure and not in Ky.

Tankt likes this.
  11. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    You’re correct with your view of it. It’s just not the same. I’ve chased elk in ky and out west the terrain and views are breathe taking in areas plus the vastness of the areas. Millions of acres to get lost in.

Tankt and EdLongshanks like this.
  12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    My buddy and his family stayed in phenomenal housing. Ate insanely good meals and had fully guided hunts for that budget.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Of course it's a different ball game. It's a different kill % too... Hunting elk or mule deer is still on my bucket list.... I'll probably check that off eventually. But the two experiences are completely different.....But if you get a Ky tag, the success % is way higher than anywhere out west....

littlebear likes this.
  14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m seriously sad I didn’t make it a priority. I love these guys and could have afforded it but I was too scared to pull the trigger to make it happen. I missed out on so many memories.

15. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Sounds like a great trip. Heck that’s part of the enjoyment is coming off the mountains back to camp and doing some big time eating. Are you trying to go next trip with them?

EdLongshanks likes this.