Just curious

Chilly

12 pointer
Nov 18, 2009
Under a tree and looking up!!!
I have put in for the drawing every year and I personally have not been drawn. I entered my wife in the drawing in 2016 and she was drawn. Had a guide and she killed on the last day of her season.
I've been writing the kids in for the past few years, when I thought they were old enough / mature enough to handle the hunt. Oldest son got drawn last year. Only one visible encounter the whole first week. Heard bulls daily. Zero cows. He killed his bull first day of the 2nd firearm season.

saintarc

Fawn
Dec 27, 2015
Fwiw I’ve applied every year and have never won. I think the odds are like 1:100? Idk, but disappointed every year.

in a few years even if I get drawn will probably be too old to pull it off.

saintarc

Fawn
Dec 27, 2015
Bothers me non-residents get drawn, especially from states that don’t allow nr to apply. For instance, mi. Only residents can apply and they have a preference point program, but mi residents hunt elk in ky. Not fair. Should be a reciprocity rule.

Fit2KillProstaffer

6 pointer
Nov 1, 2011
Central KY
Don’t know that I have put in every year but have most of them. Was drawn in 2008 for a bull rifle. Hunted five days and got one (DIY) in Knott County. Got drawn again in 2011 for cow archery. I put in for that tag because the odds were so good (something like 1 in 17 at the time). Probably why there is a lot of people on here who have drawn twice. As others have said, cow archery is a tough hunt. Hunted in Harlan County, had one close encounter but no dice.

jgs410

Fawn
Oct 31, 2018
NC/KY
I was drawn my second year (last year) for a Bull-week 1 firearm. Went with LMO and punched my tag on day two.

Just1odd6

Fawn
Apr 19, 2017
Waddy KY
Finally got drawn this year. Either sex Archery tag. Will be a guided hunt. Have been putting in for over 10+ years. Plan on putting in every year I can after this as well. Ky Fish/Wildlife do a great job and I don’t mind giving to a great cause, in fact I also donate $250 to the kids camp every year for a chance at an extra Bull tag.

rcb216

12 pointer
Sep 25, 2005
Robertson Co.
I have put in since 2007. I did miss 2010 for some reason. I was sure I put in since 2004. But it only shows from 2006 onward on my profile. Lot of money donated. I fuss every year and get discouraged but I’ll keep putting in. I love Elk meat. Don’t know about putting in for bow anymore. Don’t think I can run them hills anymore.

perrymax

10 pointer
Jun 6, 2002
Bullitt Co, Ky.
Applied every single year this has been in existence for bull and cow firearm, for me and my wife. Never drawn!!!! I know a guy who has been drawn twice for bull firearm and his wife has been drawn once. His family is known in Frankfort, Democrat circles. Maybe its a coincidence?

Bummed

Fawn
Oct 8, 2019
Eastern ky
Put in for ten years or so finally got drawed bull rifle week 2 hired a guide and found it was a money trap don’t know much about elk hunting besides what I seen on tv but I know when u go for a couple hours in the morning and the guide has to leave every day to go do something and then go for a couple hours in the evening and sit in the same spot everyday after telling the guide I would walk however far I needed to or do what I needed to do to kill one it gets pretty frustrating I’ll never put in for it again they will never get another dollar from me nor will the crooks that I hired as guides it’s pretty bad when u get screwed that bad in your home state

rcb216

12 pointer
Sep 25, 2005
Robertson Co.
Put in for ten years or so finally got drawed bull rifle week 2 hired a guide and found it was a money trap don’t know much about elk hunting besides what I seen on tv but I know when u go for a couple hours in the morning and the guide has to leave every day to go do something and then go for a couple hours in the evening and sit in the same spot everyday after telling the guide I would walk however far I needed to or do what I needed to do to kill one it gets pretty frustrating I’ll never put in for it again they will never get another dollar from me nor will the crooks that I hired as guides it’s pretty bad when u get screwed that bad in your home state
Ya need to post that guide service on here when people start looking for guides. so other hunters won’t waste their money.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
I put in almost every year since it began (except the year I had shoulder surgery & this one) - never been drawn. I won't be applying again. Tendon damage has reached the point where I wouldn't be able to hunt the mountains even if I was drawn so why bother anymore.

My kids put in for probably 10 years each. Daughter was drawn the one year they had a "spike only" hunt (2010). My brother was guiding at the time & he had her on a spike & she had it on the ground before 8am first day of her hunt. Son never got drawn.

My husband put in from the beginning & still is. Was drawn for a cow back in 2014. My brother wasn't guiding then (most of the property he had access to before had been leased out for big money by some of the big guide companies) but between him, my nephew, and a whole bunch of family friends who have property in the area, they managed to get him on a cow after 2 or 3 days of hunting.

A few years after my husband was drawn, my brother got drawn for a bull & again thanks to family & friends in the area, he was able to put a nice one on the ground on the 2nd day of his hunt. He'd put in every year since the beginning & still applies each year.

My son, niece, two nephews, and two great nieces have applied every year (the greats just since they got old enough to handle a high powered rifle) and have never been drawn.

saintarc

Fawn
Dec 27, 2015
Here were the odds.

Attachments

• A1A9B47F-839B-45AE-9850-E585E9A43F12.jpeg
    A1A9B47F-839B-45AE-9850-E585E9A43F12.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 51

spanky116

6 pointer
Aug 14, 2005
Garrad County, KY
Put in since it started and got drawn in 2015. Shot a nice Bull during the firearm season. Used a guide that is someone I deer hunt with. It was fun but I haven't put in anymore and won't again. For what it cost I can go out west.

Latest posts