Just curious

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Hired a guide in 2010. Killed a nice bull with a rifle at 220 yards.
Pulled a cow archery tag twice between 2012 and 2016. First cow hunt was DIY i hunted 30 total days that fall and had 3 close calls. I took a 50 yard shot that went underneath her that turned out to be 70 yards. (Dad ranged her for me and must have been shaking when he hit the button) A few weeks later i had a cow at 7 yards but was a head on shot the whole time. I should have shot her 6inches below the mouth but though she’d turn broadside and never got that shot. She spooked and reeled off. Had a third cow sneak in behind me while calling from a brush blind, never had a shot. Never had an encounter after that despite many attempts and several more trips to elk country.
I hired several guides when i got drawn (cow archery) again and despite 30+ days of hunting only had 1 opportunity. My guide had me at 40 yards on a bedded cow and i blew an easy shot. Turned out my sight had come loose (and my rest was dropping to slow) from all the hiking and getting in and out of the truck etc. 100% my fault for not paying attention to my equipment. I never had another shot but chased another heard for 3 days just could never get inside 80 yards on them which just isnt close enough with a bow. I wont put in for another archery cow elk hunt. There is a huge difference between shooting a deer at 20-40 yards from a stand and shooting a cow elk in unfamiliar terrain with a bow on the ground. I hunted hard but made amateur mistakes that I should not have made. I enjoyed it and learned from it but was also stressful and allowed it to be a burden and got down on myself when i shouldn’t have.

NOCAMST

6 pointer
Oct 9, 2017
Central ky
Just reviewed my profile on the KDFW page and it appears I’ve applied 8 years and have yet to draw a tag yet. Won’t stop applying it’s cheap in comparison to every other state. Also I feel like a lot of people who say they have applied every year and never been drawn probably missed some years and forgot about that. You can go to their page and log into your profile and it will show every year you have applied.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Just reviewed my profile on the KDFW page and it appears I’ve applied 8 years and have yet to draw a tag yet. Won’t stop applying it’s cheap in comparison to every other state. Also I feel like a lot of people who say they have applied every year and never been drawn probably missed some years and forgot about that. You can go to their page and log into your profile and it will show every year you have applied.
You're correct. I say "I've put in every year...." But I didn't put in the first 5 years. Only 12 tags in 2001. A few more the next year, and so on. Then it jumped to 200 in 2006, if memory serves me correctly. I have put in every year since then.

Muzzy Moment

8 pointer
Sep 8, 2011
Eastern KY
Put myself and dad in almost every year from beginning and def. every year since 2006. Just looked it up. Neither of us been drawn which we only put in for bull archery(now either-sex) and bull rifle. My kin got drawn for cow rifle on her second year putting in around 2015 and my wife got a bull rifle 2017 her second or third time trying. Both of them were successful and got my moms on video. Moms was complete DIY and wife’s was as well but a buddy of mine that’s a guide helped me find a big one for her. My wife was 7 months pregnant. When she killed hers. Just the luck of the draw.
F47EFFFF-2672-41C0-A3EB-11C9BCF1032C.jpeg

Last edited:

Strutter

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 9, 2001
USA.
I have put in every year and have never been drawn. Most years I put in for firearm and bow for both bull and cow. With the success percentages as they are, either the elk are getting smarter, their numbers are decreasing for whatever reason, or the guides aren't doing as well. Not sure which but there's a lot of money being spent to ride around in Eastern KY looking at the scenery.

ElkPercentSuccess2020.png

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I have put in every year and have never been drawn. Most years I put in for firearm and bow for both bull and cow. With the success percentages as they are, either the elk are getting smarter, their numbers are decreasing for whatever reason, or the guides aren't doing as well. Not sure which but there's a lot of money being spent to ride around in Eastern KY looking at the scenery.

ElkPercentSuccess2020.png
There are less than half as many elk in Ky as they say there are.... That's the problem.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Hired a guide in 2010. Killed a nice bull with a rifle at 220 yards.
Pulled a cow archery tag twice between 2012 and 2016. First cow hunt was DIY i hunted 30 total days that fall and had 3 close calls. I took a 50 yard shot that went underneath her that turned out to be 70 yards. (Dad ranged her for me and must have been shaking when he hit the button) A few weeks later i had a cow at 7 yards but was a head on shot the whole time. I should have shot her 6inches below the mouth but though she’d turn broadside and never got that shot. She spooked and reeled off. Had a third cow sneak in behind me while calling from a brush blind, never had a shot. Never had an encounter after that despite many attempts and several more trips to elk country.
I hired several guides when i got drawn (cow archery) again and despite 30+ days of hunting only had 1 opportunity. My guide had me at 40 yards on a bedded cow and i blew an easy shot. Turned out my sight had come loose (and my rest was dropping to slow) from all the hiking and getting in and out of the truck etc. 100% my fault for not paying attention to my equipment. I never had another shot but chased another heard for 3 days just could never get inside 80 yards on them which just isnt close enough with a bow. I wont put in for another archery cow elk hunt. There is a huge difference between shooting a deer at 20-40 yards from a stand and shooting a cow elk in unfamiliar terrain with a bow on the ground. I hunted hard but made amateur mistakes that I should not have made. I enjoyed it and learned from it but was also stressful and allowed it to be a burden and got down on myself when i shouldn’t have.
Cow tags are the hardest to fill with cow archery being the most difficult. To me, the cow is more of a trophy due to the difficulty of the hunt.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Drawn for Archery cow in 2011. Did a DIY on private land but only had about 6 days to hunt. Second evening a giant and I mean giant bull stood 23 yards from me at last light. Never saw a cow. Heard lots of them but it was thick and woolly and never laid eyes on one. Drawn for either sex archery in 2019. Young bull came out at last light my second evening and somehow my [email protected]@ss shot just over him. Messed me up so bad mentally the rest of my hunt sucked. Next morning had a giant bull close but couldn’t get a shot. He was bedded, got up, walked up a trail and was behind an embankment. All I could see was very top of his back part of his face and antlers. I’ve been blessed with a few good encounters but obviously I’m not a very good elk hunter. Agree with RL. Cow archery is the hardest, at least in Ky. If they are alone they spook way easier than a bull. In a smaller herd or with young, not as quick to spook.

Last edited:

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Drawn for Archery cow in 2011. Did a DIY on private land but only had about 6 days to hunt. Second evening a giant and I mean giant bull stood 23 yards from me at last light. Never saw a cow. Heard lots of them but it was thick and woolly and never laid eyes on one. Drawn for either sex archery in 2019. Young bull came out at last light my second evening and somehow my [email protected]@ss shot just over him. Messed me with so bad mentally the rest of my hunt sucked. Next morning had a giant bull close but couldn’t get a shot. He was bedded, got up, walked up a trail and was behind an embankment. All I could see was very top of his back part of his face and antlers. I’ve been blessed with a few good encounters but obviously I’m not a very good elk hunter. Agree with RL. Cow archery is the hardest, at least in Ky. If they are alone they spook way easier than a bull. In a smaller herd or with young, not as quick to spook.
No question, cow archery is the most difficult tag to fill.

LuckyMan

6 pointer
Apr 29, 2018
Winchester
It amazes me how many have been drawn multiple times. Yet there are so many of us that have never been drawn. That is great for you if you have been drawn but I do think that if you have been drawn once that you should not be allowed to apply until those that have never been drawn get an opportunity. I also believe that the non-residents should be put into a separate lottery pool. As I said in a earlier post, I have applied every year since 2004 and never been drawn yet there are non-residents getting drawn every year.
It is frustrating when you live here and pay for a hunting/fishing license every year to help fund the KDFWR and they do nothing to give residents an advantage.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
It amazes me how many have been drawn multiple times. Yet there are so many of us that have never been drawn. That is great for you if you have been drawn but I do think that if you have been drawn once that you should not be allowed to apply until those that have never been drawn get an opportunity. I also believe that the non-residents should be put into a separate lottery pool. As I said in a earlier post, I have applied every year since 2004 and never been drawn yet there are non-residents getting drawn every year.
It is frustrating when you live here and pay for a hunting/fishing license every year to help fund the KDFWR and they do nothing to give residents an advantage.
It’s a lottery. It amazes me that people win the $$ lotteries multiple times too. I’d have no problem if they restricted it to one chance. I’m all for spreading the love.

Latest posts