Just curious, are you happy?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bgkyarcher, Apr 9, 2021.

1. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    I always told my kids that life was a personal boxing match. No matter how hard you think you are, you will get a few gut punches and a busted nose, but you have to learn to roll with every punch, and fight back with everything in you.....Defeat is not an option.

Carl, Brody, dirtstalker and 4 others like this.
  2. slicked-it

slicked-it 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    When describing childhood trauma to teachers and school staff I have this activity I use. In chronilogical order, list on a piece of paper ten events that standout in your life. Rather it be high or low, list the events that helped shaped/define who you are today. Example.....granddad passing way, losing two uncles unexpectedly, graduating college, getting a job, wife, kids etc........ Of those things, ask yourself, how much control did you have over those situations? I had zero control over the loss of my granddad or uncles..........as for wife and kids.....I had about 50% of the control there:D The point of the exercise is to teach teachers that kids don't often times have control over their situations and that their behavior is usually a result of something that has happened in the past.

The same goes for adults.............IMO, life is not as much about what happens to you as how you respond to what happens to you. I agree with beauhunter to an extent. I'm not in favor of letting toxic people or situations dictate my mood/demeanor. That said, sometimes things happen that are just hard to deal with and there are LOTS of people that don't know how to process what they are experiencing. Not necessarily toxic.....just not able to realize that they are going to be ok.

I'm a happy guy and blessed beyond belief. Do I get down from time to time or have bad days............yup, just like everyone else. I just try to remember this..............as bad as things get sometimes, there is always someone that would kill to change places with you. Love The LORD, grind daily and spend as much time afield as possible:)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Trapper Delk likes this.
  3. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Never forget this, Everything can change in a split second. I had a damstroke Sat. the 10th of this month. I had it in my sleep and didn't even know when it happened. I could not function Sun. morning so my wife took me to the ER. They did an EKG or what ever it is called and it showed I had a stroke. I also had a severe UTI. Don't ever take life for granted because everything can change before you know it. I hope this makes sense. First time I have tried to put this many words together sense it happened.

Nock, jblack1, 00noturkey and 10 others like this.
  4. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Damn, Carl. Glad to still have you with us

jblack1 and Carl like this.
  5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Prayers for you Carl!

Carl likes this.
  6. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I had a tia they call it a couple years ago. I was awake when it happened. I had just picked up a toolbox that weighed about a 100 lbs and slung it in the bed of my truck. Went back in the garage to get something else and started getting something that felt like brain freeze in the left temple. It kept ramping up till I thought damn, That hurts like hell. I was rubbing the side of my head and the pain started to subside. I walked in the house and my wife asked me what I'd been up to. Caught me by total surprise when I couldn't speek. Her and I both immediately knew something was wrong. She kept asking what was wrong and I couldn't answer. I could see the words forming in my mind just couldn't say anything. I finally held my finger up to say give me a minute.
    Within a couple minutes my speech was starting to return and in 5 I had it back. Of course she said we need to go to the emergency room now but I chose to go to the farm and finish up about an hour worth of work. Then we went to the ER on a Saturday. I had a good suspicion since it wasn't immediately life threatening I'd be there a while. Sure enough it was Monday morning before any serious testing got underway. I was there for 4 days. They found a couple of issues I was unaware of but nothing of grave concern. The neurologist said when you got here you were extremely dehydrated and that it a point you are way more likely to have something like that happen. I now try to force myself to drink even if I don't feel thirsty.
    Scared the hell out of me.

Nock, jblack1, redjackson and 4 others like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    No truer words ever written!

Praying for your recovery, Carl.

Brody, slicked-it, jblack1 and 4 others like this.
  8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Hope that you are feeling better Carl

9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Dang Carl hope you over come this buddy

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Understood loud and clear mister. I pray for your fast recovery.

slicked-it and Carl like this.
  11. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    Prayers Carl

Carl likes this.
  12. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Glad you are okay.

13. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Thank you Barney.

slicked-it likes this.
  14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dang guys. Prayers for future health.

Carl likes this.
  15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    We are all faced with challenges. Ups and downs. I don’t think humans are ever satisfied or perfectly happy. No matter what we have we want something else. Look at the celebrity with the hottest wife in town. They have money and fame and still cheats on his wife and is on drugs.

I, like most, have a lot to be thankful for. I still have regrets and feel cheated in some aspects too. It’s not easy being satisfied all the time. All in all though, I’m an easy going guy that doesn’t need too much out of life. A wonderful family and Gods grace is really all I need.

Trapper Delk and riverboss like this.