Just bought, need help.

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Danno, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Danno

Danno 6 pointer

Draw length..... Okay after doing some research i have a 30" length of pull. Measure tip of middle finger to other tip of middle finger (basically my wingspan) minus that number by 15, and divide that by 2 is how i reached my number.

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Full length 600 spine arrows with 125 up front will get you close enough for now. Worry about fine tuning after you really have your form nailed down. If you want/need more arrow weight a full length 500 with 200 grains up front will also be pretty close.

Danno likes this.
  3. Danno

Danno 6 pointer

Also the fellas you guys recommended on YouTube, i can say i believe the fella that put my nock point, installed it incorrectly
    Also what is considered full length? I've seen 26" and also seen 28" are those considered full or would it be higher than 28"

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    30" in those spines.

Danno likes this.
  5. Danno

Danno 6 pointer

Awesome thanks for the help fellas, I'm sure it's gonna be a long road but rewarding in the end

6. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
  7. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Pm sent

Danno likes this.
  8. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Im not saying you are not 30" draw, but its highly unlikely unless you are like 6'6", which, I know a fellow that is, and he does get that kind of draw length, but he is a rarity. only way to know for sure is to get someone to watch you draw a full length arrow, and mark it, (front of riser) then measure from the bottom of the nock to the mark. You can do it your self by clamping a cothespin on the shaft, then drawing it back, letting back of riser slide the clothespin back, then let down and measure. You have to be honest with your self, because many draw longer than they normally do when they know they are being measured. have a friend discreetly watch you as you shoot. Honestly most dont draw 28", I see many shooting 60# bows bragging about the weight they shoot, and do well to draw 24" which makes that 60# bow more like a 45# bow, with the performance of like a 40# bow. Most compound converts will lose about 2" draw length when switching to traditional. its just a different beast when you dont have the relaxing breakover that a compound gives. at full draw you are holding that weight, where a lot of compounds are 80% letoff , meaning a 100# compound, you are holding 20# at full draw, and a 40# trad bow you are holding 40#, twice that. This extra weight tends to bunch people up, they struggle, then sacrifice draw weight.

rabbit dawg likes this.
  9. Danno

Danno 6 pointer

Ha ha close to 6'6" good call more like 6'4" and arms like an ape, I'm about 2-3" from touching my own kneecaps when my arms are down by my side

10. ABLongbow

ABLongbow 6 pointer

Aug 10, 2018
    Morgan County
    Since your draw length is so long I would try 500 spined arrows 30 or 31 in Long with 100 grain field points and that'll probably give you a good starting point for arrows

Danno likes this.
  11. ABLongbow

ABLongbow 6 pointer

Aug 10, 2018
    Morgan County
    I pm'd you my phone number I can give you more information it's kind of hard to keep posting things

Danno likes this.
  12. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Yeah, you will need 500 spine at least with that draw length.

Danno likes this.
  13. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Well I use a 600 spine on my [email protected]” bow with 175gr tips, but I draw 27”, and like most I was a bit doubtful of the 30” draw. But you done convinced me! Lol So I would now recommend a 500 spine.

Danno likes this.