Just a question..

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
I love venison, my family loves it and i make sure my freezer is filled by taking a couple does. I'm not going to shoot a 2.5 year old as I don't need the meat. With the property in Kentucky we have an opportunity to do something i don't have in Pa and that is really manage the herd we have. We have a handful of bucks on camera that we have earmarked shooters, others we want to to give another year or two that i'll eat the tag before shooting any of those. We have a really nice 10 that we are going to let walk, and we might let him walk again next year. But we have a few mature bucks on camera that simply aren't going to get any better, so if it comes down to it and it's the last few days i'll shoot one of those given the opportunity. But I'll be hunting my target buck hard until then.

A friend bought a 1,000 acre property this year in Kentucky and it's my dream to do what we are planning. We are going to do everything we can to the property and with the herd from a management perspective to produce big mature bucks. This is year 1 and we have a ton of work ahead of us, as everything didn't really get finalized until a week before archery. We are obviously just getting started. But my main goal this year is to get my buddy who purchased the land his first whitetail, that's what he brought me in to do.
You will find out in the morning how many people are hunting that property

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I hate to say what I will or won’t shoot in fear of eating my words after getting a little too excited. I’d say I’m probably a 130”+ hunter but like I said I may get excited and shoot something smaller if it has good character/trash.
This year has actually been my best year running cameras where I hunt and I’ve seen 4 bucks I’m willing to shoot. But my 2 biggest bucks I’ve killed were both opening day never seen them before, but when I seen them there was no question, just shoot then you can get a better look haha

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
There are 3 id shoot that i know of but they haven’t been on camera this year. I only run 1 intermittently.

Trapper Delk

12 pointer
Feb 10, 2020
Central Kentucky.
I hate to say what I will or won’t shoot in fear of eating my words after getting a little too excited. I’d say I’m probably a 130”+ hunter but like I said I may get excited and shoot something smaller if it has good character/trash.
This year has actually been my best year running cameras where I hunt and I’ve seen 4 bucks I’m willing to shoot. But my 2 biggest bucks I’ve killed were both opening day never seen them before, but when I seen them there was no question, just shoot then you can get a better look haha
I'd say you be posting big buck picture tomorrow :D

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
I'm picky most of the time. I usually try to let a deer get some age on him. That is why I haven't killed a deer on my farm in the 6 years I have owned it. I haven't had a pic of 1 I would shoot in 4 years now. I've got to many neighbors who kill over the limit and everything they see. 1 guy drives around in the area killing 6-8 bucks a year usually, alot of the neighbors will kill a basket rack just so they can say they killed a buck. It gets a little frustrating spending all the time and money I do and not having anything around but I keep doing it hoping 1 will show up and when they don't I usually head to other farms we have permission to hunt.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN

Grago

12 pointer
Dec 13, 2016
I have never, considered myself a trophy hunter, I hunted in the late 60 s and early 70 s when if you even saw a rub, let alone a live buck of any kind, you felt like calling the newspaper. So I can never tell you what I'm gonna do till its standing there, last 2 years, I killed older bucks, that wasn't gonna be a lot better than they were, and I'm pretty sure were running off younger bucks with good blood. But this buck in this pic, is one I would definately let go, if I had known exactly what he was and how young he was. But as Wildman Wilson, posted , or someone else did and he commented , sometimes you have to make a decision in a hurry, I noticed a bush goin crazy on the edge of the woods , I looked thru the binos and he was thrashing his horns around in it, then for what ever reason, he came out in a fast trot 200 yards away broadside, and I killed him, the last 4 bucks I have killed someone else had pics of them, and I didn't know it. If I could ever have breathed life back into one, it would have been this one, he was a baby in years of life.

Attachments

• IMG_19.jpg
    IMG_19.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 39

Grago

12 pointer
Dec 13, 2016
I have never, considered myself a trophy hunter, I hunted in the late 60 s and early 70 s when if you even saw a rub, let alone a live buck of any kind, you felt like calling the newspaper. So I can never tell you what I'm gonna do till its standing there, last 2 years, I killed older bucks, that wasn't gonna be a lot better than they were, and I'm pretty sure were running off younger bucks with good blood. But this buck in this pic, is one I would definately let go, if I had known exactly what he was and how young he was. But as Wildman Wilson, posted , or someone else did and he commented , sometimes you have to make a decision in a hurry, I noticed a bush goin crazy on the edge of the woods , I looked thru the binos and he was thrashing his horns around in it, then for what ever reason, he came out in a fast trot 200 yards away broadside, and I killed him, the last 4 bucks I have killed someone else had pics of them, and I didn't know it. If I could ever have breathed life back into one, it would have been this one, he was a baby in years of life.
Trail cam pic of him, someone else had.

Attachments

• IMG_7_1.jpg
    IMG_7_1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 27

Grago

12 pointer
Dec 13, 2016
Naw, not rubbing it in, I let sometimes better bucks go than I kill, this one, was just so young, if I know one is really young, I will let him go, and sometimes kill a older buck, that's not as good rack wise, Dang I hope you kill one, before they let the dogs loose .

Trapper Delk

12 pointer
Feb 10, 2020
Central Kentucky.
I was just funning with you Grago I do know where you are coming from I passed on a 8 in muzzleloader season that if he makes it next year be dang good but still young, thing is around here not many people like you that pass on any.

DaveO

6 pointer
Dec 30, 2017
Indianapolis
I put forth my best effort to harvest the biggest buck in my farm. A couple of which I have 3 years of history with. Since I bow hunt only, I usually end up tagging out the week before gun on one if my shooters or a surprise buck that moved in. If I fail, usually end up shooting whatever I get in bow range after Christmas . We all hunt for our own reasons.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I'm picky most of the time. I usually try to let a deer get some age on him. That is why I haven't killed a deer on my farm in the 6 years I have owned it. I haven't had a pic of 1 I would shoot in 4 years now. I've got to many neighbors who kill over the limit and everything they see. 1 guy drives around in the area killing 6-8 bucks a year usually, alot of the neighbors will kill a basket rack just so they can say they killed a buck. It gets a little frustrating spending all the time and money I do and not having anything around but I keep doing it hoping 1 will show up and when they don't I usually head to other farms we have permission to hunt.
Have you reported your neighbor that allegedly kills over the limit?

Latest posts