Johnes dieses in cattle

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by cedar creek, Apr 20, 2021.

1. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Had to do something pretty tough tonight, bought a top of the line heifer at a fancy sale last February and she was bred and had calf shortly after we got her home, everything was going good with momma and her calf when about 2 weeks ago she started loosing weight, looking rough, had her tested and came back positive johnes disease, I loaded her and calf up and took to the back field and put them both out of there misery and to keep from spreading the diasese, I feel like a shit bag for doing it but had to be done, I said a prayer and asked god for forgiveness, roughest thing I have ever had to do, I’m pretty tore up over the deal and made this grown man cry, I hope Mother Nature forgives me for the actions I took but was for the well-being of the rest of the cattle, U.K. supposed to come out and test the rest, I don’t know if I can go through this again, she was a pet and calf was sweet heart followed me around like a puppy, I have always been around cattle my whole life and have seen some bad situations but this toppled them all, my dad wasn’t here to help me or give advice on the situation so I had to man up and do what he would do, I just hope he was looking down on me and helped me make the right decision, it came a small sprinkle of rain right before I said a prayer for forgiveness before I took the pistol from the holster, fiqured it was the angels shedding a tear along with mine, RIp daisy and faith, it will be hard to get attached to an animal again but time heals all wounds and hope god forgive me for what I had to do...

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That sucks mister. That’s hard to do, but it is the right thing to do.

cedar creek likes this.
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Also your dad is likely very proud to have raised a son who has a good heart

cedar creek likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Know the feeling, I've been in a similar situation..

cedar creek likes this.
  5. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    If it was easy you wouldn't be the man your father raised!

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Bad situation, hurts like hell. Hopefully the rest are fine.

cedar creek and 00noturkey like this.
  7. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Take comfort in knowing that you simply did what had to be done.

It's part of runnin' cattle but it's never easy to do. I hate doing it - even for an anonymous cow.

cedar creek and EdLongshanks like this.
  8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Id consider liming the field and or stall they were in

cedar creek and carnivore like this.
  9. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 8 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
  10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Ive had to do that a time or two myself.
    Does your cattle drink out of a pond? That could be a source of spreading the disease

cedar creek likes this.
  11. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Not sure I could do it. We cry when a chicken get sick and put down!!! Hope the rest of the herd is ok.

cedar creek likes this.
  12. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Doing the right thing is often times never easy. Good on ya for doing it.

cedar creek likes this.
  13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Sorry for the loss and deed u had to do. I know that feeling but u don’t need forgiveness of what had to be done. Look at it this way, they won’t be suffering any longer so that should be a relief.

cedar creek and EdLongshanks like this.
  14. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    That sucks. I had an old cow we raised for 14 years. She was a good mother to a lot of calf’s. Got down in the holler and could not get up. Had to put her down. I swear I think she knew. When I pulled the .45 out she just laid back and kinda saw her whole body relax. It was like she knew the pain was over. It was tough. I kept her skull for a long time on my hunting cabin porch. When you raise cattle or any animal you learn their personalities and get attached it hurts when you have to put them down. It just shows your a good man. I’m sure your father. Both of them, Heavenly and Earthly are proud of ya.

15. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Sorry to hear, it sucks. Had to do that several times and it's never easy!