Jellyhead

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
Finally ordered one. They've been what seems the choice for most for years. No performance problems out of my last choke, but y'all know how it is. Lol. When you start getting the itch. Any recommendation on 3.5 loads out of an 870? I'll try a few, just looking for somewhere to start. Also went ahead and picked up a Cherokee Submissive Sally decoy too. Looked too good to not try. Yes, I'm getting the fever. :D

I've been seeing lots of birds back out in the fields lately. Saw about 20 on the way to work this morning.

WhiteRubi

12 pointer
Apr 13, 2005
Richmond
I have a 23" 870 super mag. For a couple years, I shot 3 1/2" #4 2 1/4 oz loads. NO MORE. I now shoot the Jellyhead choke with Winchester 3" #5. It's a much better pattern and pretty light recoil.

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
Better pattern at what yardage? And what kind of power does it have at that distance as far as damage to backstop?

Not to get into hunting politics thread, but I want the best pattern at the best distance. I know a lot of people have the thinking that if its over 30-35 yards, it loses it's sporting nature...I don't. If I call a bird in a quarter mile and he hangs up at 47 yards, I don't want to chalk that up as a loss nor do I consider it unsporting. Especially since I have been introducing kids to turkey hunting and have dates with two people that have never killed a bird this year and one that has 1 under their belt. And I plan on filming hunts.

Both of my birds last year were under 25 yards, by the way, but when I judge patterns I usually do it out to 40-45 yards.

Xcal1ber

12 pointer
Jul 16, 2011
Couple ridges over
Even though they cost more than a lead turkey load. You should try the Hevi-Shot 3.5 inch, 7 shot, with 2.25 ounces of shot. the pattern density out to longer ranges is amazing, and they have awesome knock down power. Like I said, they are expenisve, but you ain't going to be shooting doves with them.

WhiteRubi

12 pointer
Apr 13, 2005
Richmond
I've bought about 3 or 4 different 3.5" shells and about 7 different 3" shells. The Winchester 3" #5 is by far the best patterning I've shot out to about 40 yards. I've never patterned it past that. I have shot a bird at over 50 though.

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll pick up a box of them winchesters, WR. And I was thinking about going with hevi-shot but I'd just like to try different pellet sizes. I've always thought number 5's patterned the best and gave you the best number of pellets and power. And I don't doubt the pattern holds up very good, I just don't know about trying to kill a turkey at 45 yards with dove loads.

Xcal1ber

12 pointer
Jul 16, 2011
Couple ridges over
Lol Hevi shot is certainly not a dove load. I am just saying that they are expensive, but you won't be shooting a lot of them per year. The 7 shot in the Hevi Shot has the same knock down power as 5 shot in lead, but you get the pellet counts of the 7 shot. Hevi shot is made with HTL (Heavier Than Lead) pellets. It is denser than lead because it has tungsten in it.

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
I see. Don't know much about hevi-shot. And I'm not worried about the cost as much, can't be any more expensive than making sure you and your 7mm mag are on the same page and I enjoy turkey hunting a lot more.

troy75

8 pointer
Aug 24, 2009
livingston,ky
If you get the right choke combine with heavyshot , you won't ever shoot lead again. I shoot a Indian creek choke and 3 1/2" magnum blend heavyshot with a 3500 stoeger and it will shoot around 240 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yrds. I also have a Remington versa Max with the heavy shot brand choke tube, and it does very well with magnum blend. As stated already your not shooting doves, people say they won't pay 20$ for a box of shells, but they will buy a 1000$ gun and shoot 10$ shells. Your only able to shoot 2 birds anyways so a box should last a couple years.

HUNTZVT

12 pointer
Nov 2, 2009
Exiled to West Virginia
I use an 870 with a Jelly Head as a back up gun and as a loaner when I take people hunting with me. 3" Winchester XTended range #6 patterned best for me. I've patterned out to 40 but have taken a couple shots beyond that without any problems.

Latest posts