January 1, 2012- What about finding this today?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by GrouseDoctor, Jan 1, 2012.

1. GrouseDoctor

GrouseDoctor Fawn

Jan 17, 2010
    Hunted a couple hours with Birdman today. Moved three birds brought one home. We turned 5 dogs loose and tried a new strategy- go at it like foxhunters and run the whole pack! The surprise of the day came when I had to run my dogs away from this to keep them from getting bitten. 2012-01-01_11-56-12_617.jpg

2. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Good grief Man!!!

3. GrouseDoctor

GrouseDoctor Fawn

Jan 17, 2010
    That's almost what we thought about it... The "G" rated version anyway! He was a little slower than normal, but was still striking every breath!

4. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Im glad you took that lil feller outta here. I would have hated for him to get cold tomorrow night with that front coming through. Thank you!

5. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Dammit, those things have gotten as hardy as ticks. Didn't see any of those this weekend, but certainly the ticks were out.

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Wasn't big enough or we would have eaten that rascal.:D I bet those bad boys are the hole today.

7. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Birdman called me last night and told me about this. It is pretty bad when you find more copperheads than grouse on Jan
    1st

8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    You guys keep them things down south. If you need any snake bite remedy holla.

9. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    What do you think killed this critter? It bit Birdman!

10. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Overdosed on left fork juice lol

11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    GSP, you wasn't suppose to let that out. Check his jaws out, he took lock jaw, rolled over and passed on.:D

12. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    I'm guessing that's a copperhead? I spend more time in the woods and weeds then anybody I know and I have never seen a poisonous snake alive. My grandfather was a gensing hunter and he said I've been close to more copperheads then any other snake and that I just didn't know they were there.

We ran beagle hounds Sunday and there were bullfrogs jumpin off the bank into the pond. Never in my life have I seen that in Jan.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I guarantee you've stepped over and around them, maybe even on them. A rattlesnake will move off to escape, but a copperhead will lay there quiet until you get too close, and then then he'll pop you.

I had my face about a foot from one once, and it looked like a patch of dried leaves until I saw that head on top of the coil. When I jumped back and took my eye off him, I looked back and it was again a pile of dried leaves. Had to get close just to make out that diamond shaped head. I was all around him and he never twitched.

14. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    yall think it could be a red rat snake aka corn snake instead of a copperhead. ? Doesnt quite look like a copperhead head to me ? Course I was not eye ball to it like you boys were

15. GrouseDoctor

GrouseDoctor Fawn

Jan 17, 2010
    There's NO DOUBT about what it is. It IS a copperhead. Corn snakes are known for their reluctance to bite and their docile nature. This one was ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!! He had no problem striking and being very aggressive toward both, me and my dogs.