Jalape?o summer sausage

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by woodsandwater, Oct 3, 2015.

1. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    I had some summer sausage lastyear from a coworker, it was the best I've ever had. It came from Frankfort area but I don't know the slaughterhouse. It was wrapped in that camo casing with a yellow deer on it irrc. Anyone know the place? I had j and v process my doe I shot last week but idk how good the pepper jack summer sausage is. As I've never got that before from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Okay it was close to bagdad. Does b and n meat market or webbs sausage ring any bells for anyone

3. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Webbs makes good sausage

4. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Do you recall of they have a camo sausage wrapping on it? If so that's got to be it

5. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    No, I have had their sausage, but never seen their packaging. When I don't make my own, I use Markwell's, just outside of Lawrenceburg. They have several choices, including halapeno, hot pepper cheese and a combo of the two.

6. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    Webbs has a brownish colored wrap on their stuff. But im with you i go up to Markwells, we like the taste of their sausage better than webbs, good variety, friendly folks, and their sausages hang in their smoker for i think 19 hours before its done.

7. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    I had Markwell's do one for me last year. 1st time using them, will definitely go back. I have the hot salami made. Actually just had some for lunch, it's awesome. I don't however like the deer sticks that they made. Won't get those again.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yes I've taken mine there to B and N then they order from Webbs. They'll do meat cuts , etc...there but send off to Webbs for their sausage, etc... I've bought the jalape?o. Cheddar is my favorite.

9. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    That's most likely it. Camo sausage casing?

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don't remember mine being camo but it's been a few years.

11. outdoor-addict

outdoor-addict 6 pointer

Jul 12, 2010
    J & V in Stanford? If so you are safe there. Their summer sausage with pepperjack cheese is the best that I have had!

12. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I bought a nice grinder and stuffer. I use the pre-packaged kits from Cabelas. Mix in about 20% pork roast and a lb of high temperature cheese for every 5 lbs. Makes good stuff. Made 64 lbs last year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk