Jakes Fooled Me

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ky.longbeard, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    I haven't been seeing turkeys in the field where my grandson shot his opening day of youth season.So I thought I better be looking somewhere else so yesterday and day before yesterday I just went and listened. I heard turkeys both mornings. This morning I left the house extra early and got in tight where I could see good and they started gobbling there heads off. Fly down and datgum jakes goobling and struting ! I would have bet they were Long Beards !

2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    To each is there own. But come daylight tomorrow a jake better not walk infront of me and my daughter he will not make another sunrise. Haha
    Some of the best most exciting hunts i ever had envolved jakes. They can be just as smart as a 2 or 3 year old and vice versa i have seen 2 and 3 year olds act as dumb as any jake i have came across. Im about the meat and experience more then i am size if beards and spurs.
    I have also killed jakes that were as big as most gobblers i have killed. Depends on seversl things but some jakes can be a pretty good size by this time if year. Some have a mature gobble and some dont etc.

Good luck to you in the morning eitherway. Hope you get the one your after.

elkaholic likes this.
  3. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    Let mr Jake strut in front of me...
    Bad day for him...beautiful day for me! I'm a equal opportunity turkey killer haha

4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ive killed several jakes over the years that put on better shows than most 2-3 yr olds.

elkaholic and hollandhunter like this.
  5. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Exactly!

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    If he gobbles like a Tom he can get rolled like one, too. I don’t discriminate.

elkaholic likes this.
  7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I’ve seen a good number of jakes gobble like old birds. Can’t always be sure until they’re in front of you. I don’t shoot jakes but they eat like any of them.

8. kill'n and grill'n

kill'n and grill'n Fawn

Apr 17, 2012
    Madison Co.
    I’ll shoot a Jake if it’s towards the end of the season and I still have a tag to fill. A Jake sandwich taste a lot better than a tag sandwich

elkaholic likes this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Jakes taste better than old gobblers. My goal is one of each.