it made pope and young

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by straightup, May 24, 2019.

1. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Great deer congrats

2. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
  3. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Duster I have one in there and other than a request to join I don't get any other spam due to it.

4. bowcrazy3

bowcrazy3 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2009
    Congratulations on a great buck. I hope you took advantage of the membership discount to join. Pope & Young is a great organization. The record keeping part only scratches the surface of what the club does. You'll learn more when you get your first issue of The Ethic.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

My friend sure did I read the letters. Your saying they never even sent you anything on buying the book with your animal entry ? Wait a minute..You say you got one entered but are not a P&Y member ? I find that strange when they charge you to enter one. It may make book but not in the book but any official scorer will charge to measure unless they may be a friend. Last one I watched get official measurements it cost the kid (or should I say his dad) a even $100 for the guy to come to the taxidermy shop do the measurments and fill out the form.

6. straightup

straightup Fawn

Jan 22, 2009
    northern ky
    I went to the official scorer home. I got his name off the website. took the mount were he scored it and taken three pics. he only charged me $35.00. I was so happy I tipped him a 20.00 for his troubles. very nice guy. he taught me a lot..

7. bowcrazy3

bowcrazy3 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2009
    There is a $35 entry fee to enter an animal in Pope & Young. There is an optional $25 annual membership (discounted to those entering an animal). Official measurers serve as volunteers and do not charge. However, they may accept reimbursement for postage, photos and, in some cases, travel. I have measured for P&Y for almost 30 years and don't recall ever charging for travel. If I did, it was a handful of times. Scoring is basically a hobby and something that we measurers do to support archery and bowhunting. As I said before, Pope & Young is a great organization that does much more than maintain bowhunting records. I would encourage everyone who loves bowhunting to give it a try. Yes, you'll get a few letters each year with raffle tickets, special offers on equipment, convention information, etc. just like you will if you join RMEF, NWTF, NRA or any other sportsman's group. Again, congratulations on taking a nice deer worthy of the recognition.

8. bowcrazy3

bowcrazy3 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2009
    Sounds like maybe that one got entered in Pope & Young and Boone & Crockett with a P&Y membership added. $35 + $40 + $25.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I just know I was sitting there watching the guy and seen him tell the dad he owed him $100. Not sure if it was entered in both P&Y and B&C but I know it was a bow killed buck. I personally know the kids dad he used to be our UPS man.

10. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I'm not into the record books,...but love looking at good kills....and that is one. Congrats to you.

11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    It's not a requirement to be a member it is optional. And I don't know anyone that charges, they do it as a volunteer. Guy measured mine did it for free, I knew his vice and gave him a bottle of it. I got a card in the mail with the letter, saying it was official, to join. That was it. This was quite a few years ago!

12. MoMan

MoMan 6 pointer

Oct 4, 2018
    'Merica!!
    CONGRATS on the great buck!!

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. That looks more like a horse with bone on his head.

GREAT answer!!

xbokilla likes this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Congrats on a great buck. I don’t read posts made by a certain member but I’m sure that his posts in some way detracted from your buck or your experience. Pay no attention to it! It’s his usual. Outstanding deer. Good job.

300winmag likes this.
  14. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    A bowhunters dream come true. Thanks for posting, I know how hard it is to take a trophy like this legal and the amount of patience and the ups and downs of bow hunting. Congratulations friend, when you do it right, the reward is so awesome! He’s a nice one for sure!

15. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Congrats on the P&Y buck. I have three have all been scored but too cheap to enter..

Any buck over 3.5 with a bow is trophy.
    Body looks huge on that dude as well.

Mount looks great love the wall pedestal style mount, who did the mount?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019