Issue With My John Deere Riding Mower

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Starter bendix MIU14387 $27.76
Starter motor complete MIA13038 $115.87

If the mower was starting like normal before , I would change the bendix.
This morning, I removed the engine housing to get a look at the Bendix. The Bendix on my riding mower is made of metal and it had considerable rust on it but looks new otherwise. I sprayed it with WD-40 and replaced the engine housing, then started it up. It runs fine now but I guess I need to apply some lithium grease to the cog part of the bendix to prevent it from rusting up again.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I’m trying to get my old home owner JD z225 running again because my commercial cub cadet tank is now scrap metal. I serviced the jd last year in the spring. I had never had an issue with it and it has been through a couple wars. Kinda impressive honestly. So I changed oil, air filter, and fuel filter. It ran fine for an hour and then just died. Would not start. It is getting spark. I can pour gas into the carb and it will fire immediately. I replaced the fuel pump this morning and tried to prime the lines. It’s now not turning over. I have a battery charger on it….but I’m thinking I may have cooked the starter from all the cranking trying to get it to fire. 🤬 I think I’m getting gas to the carb right now but she ain’t turning over quite right. I may have a bad batree? Bad starter? Might have carb issue as well?

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I’m trying to get my old home owner JD z225 running again because my commercial cub cadet tank is now scrap metal. I serviced the jd last year in the spring. I had never had an issue with it and it has been through a couple wars. Kinda impressive honestly. So I changed oil, air filter, and fuel filter. It ran fine for an hour and then just died. Would not start. It is getting spark. I can pour gas into the carb and it will fire immediately. I replaced the fuel pump this morning and tried to prime the lines. It’s now not turning over. I have a battery charger on it….but I’m thinking I may have cooked the starter from all the cranking trying to get it to fire. 🤬 I think I’m getting gas to the carb right now but she ain’t turning over quite right. I may have a bad batree? Bad starter? Might have carb issue as well?
If you can pour gas in the carb and it runs then that means you are not getting gas to go through the carb . You will need to take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning.

If the motor does not turn , Turn the engine a little by hand to make sure the engine is free. If it does turn by hand and the starter does not turn the engine take a hammer and lightly tap the starter. Tapping the starter sometimes lets the starter brushing move and makes better contact with the starter armature.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
If you can pour gas in the carb and it runs then that means you are not getting gas to go through the carb . You will need to take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning.

If the motor does not turn , Turn the engine a little by hand to make sure the engine is free. If it does turn by hand and the starter does not turn the engine take a hammer and lightly tap the starter. Tapping the starter sometimes lets the starter brushing move and makes better contact with the starter armature.
Yessir. So I’m not positive I am getting gas to the carb yet. I disconnected the hose and gas did trickle out. I’m not sure of the pressure needed? I’m also wondering if the inlet jet on the carb is clogged. Motor does turn by hand. I have hit the starter several times and it would crank…..but I’m still not sure the starter is faulty because the batree and it’s strength are also suspect. I’ll let you know tomorrow

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
Yessir. So I’m not positive I am getting gas to the carb yet. I disconnected the hose and gas did trickle out. I’m not sure of the pressure needed? I’m also wondering if the inlet jet on the carb is clogged. Motor does turn by hand. I have hit the starter several times and it would crank…..but I’m still not sure the starter is faulty because the batree and it’s strength are also suspect. I’ll let you know tomorrow
If I am not mistaken that pump works off of vacuum. It only pumps when the motor is turning.
I would blow back in the tank through the gas line , with the tank lid off and look for dirt and crap floating around in the tank. Tanks build all kinds of stuff when they sit for a while, especially condensation.
I would say you are right about the needle valve being stuck or has some dirt in it. You can tap the carb lightly and sometimes that will jar the float inside and cause it to drop and open the needle valve.
If your carb has a drain on the bottom, I would unscrew and drain the carb completely.

I have a battery charger that has boost on it and when I have something like yours , I can put it on boost and start the engine.
Sometime those batteries will hold just enough charge but not enough to start the engine. This will make you think you have a bad starter or other problems.
A battery jumper pack is really handy if you have one.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.
If it cranks ,you can take the line off at the carb.,it will pump when you crank the engine, some of those john Deere mowers also have an electric shut off valve ,that screws up into the bowl ,some don’t .If I had gas to the carb ,I would take the bowl off and check it for a stuck float.It’s not very complicated to take the carb off and blow it out.If it’s been sitting for awhile ,if you put stuff like sea foam in it,that gummed up stuff ,breaks loose and gets in your carb,especially if it don’t have a line filter.I just cleaned the carb and put a new line from pump to carb.It had gotten water in the gas ,I guess.It had a metal line going across the motor ,that was rusted up bad ,on the carb side.

Latest posts