Is this true?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by timer, Oct 7, 2019.

1. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I read this in response to an article on Yahoo....

The US is 3rd in murders throughout the world.
    If you remove:

#1—Chicago
    #2—Detroit
    #3—Washington DC
    #4—St. Louis
    #5—New Orleans

The US is then 189th out of 193 countries in the world.

Is this true?

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I'd be surprised if it weren't true.
    We can just leave it up to imagination what those 5 cities have in common...

JR in KY likes this.
  3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Wouldn't surprise me but it seems a little suspect since it left out Oakland and Memphis which are both probably in the top 5.

4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Still more people dying in hospitals from infections than firearms. Over 100k annually. But that's ok...they wear white coats.

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
  6. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    It unbelievable how many people I've personally known that died this way. The hospital rarely gets held accountable. Must be in the documents they force you to sign before they'll treat you.

7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    They're not about to "rat on each other" with reporting medical errors (which is required by code). Its the unwritten code of medical ethics. A lot of its from cross contamination. They don't sterilize the rooms, walls, curtains, chairs, etc, worth a crap. If pushed, the excuse will be "we can't hire staff"...so maybe the hospital will tap that into the deceased's tombstone for free.

But remember, we've seen in the past where the AMA was all "worried" about the "health care" ramifications of fire arm ownership. Some even asked during check ups if you owned one. But no such health care concerns about sending you do a disease and death hospital factory. That's just fine and good for you. Because they love you and wear white coats.

8. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Lots of infections fall under the umbrella of hospital acquired infection,....some should be there,...some shouldn't. Some of it is just life. Healthcare is a complicated issue,....Many patients come in and want medicine to fix in a day or two what they have spent 30 years making. Sorry,....can't fix those coal miners lungs from smoking,...your crapped out liver from drinking,....or their big fat a$$ from too many potato chips from overeating and no exercise. So they come in for a acute complication related to some of this,.....get an infection related to basically being down and inactive,...and now it's somebody else's fault. Story of the healthcare world right there.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Mersa comes to mind as far as something picked up in a Hospital or Nursing Home. My MIL died because of that. Seems once it gets ahold not much they can do. That's one killer infection for sure. Never knew if she picked it up in the Hospital or Nursing Home she spent several years in.

Is Mersa of the lungs fatal?
    Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus or MRSA can be a serious, life threatening and even fatal illness. From a simple skin infection, MRSA can move to your bloodstream, joints, heart valves, bones, and lungs, where it can cause severe pain and even death.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  10. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Ive dealt with our toughed out alot of pain and a couple illnesses because I hate going to the doc so bad. Probably 5 yrs now. I HATE everything about the place. Just felt like a number and no actual exam... just a few questions and here's your antibiotics adios amigo pay at the desk.

Ive also known of several deaths or near it because of MRSA.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Medical malpractice kills more people than heart disease and cancer annually in the US. You rarely hear about it.

drakeshooter, mallardkiller and EC like this.
  12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.

I got into an argument with a doc one time and he threw up the "how many lives have you saved?" retort. I laughed in his face and shot back, "you don't save lives. You only defer death...and most of the time your people do a half-assed job at that."

TripleGee and Lady Hunter like this.
  13. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Any bug that hits our bloodstream is/ can be fatal. "Sepsis" or blood infection is serious,....gets a lot of people.

14. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    CDC says almost 40k people died from gun shot wounds in 2017. John’s Hopkins says 250k die yearly from medical malpractice a year. So demonrats, what’s the real problem?

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    at the VA, i had a doctor, who i must of offended in some unknown way to me, and she delayed treatment. perhaps it was cause i didnt worship her. you can have many health problems, when ya see a doctor.. she would only work on 1 at a time, then say, come back in 6 mts., if that issue is better, we will address another issue.. maybe she worked on commission, the more patients she had, the more she makes.. she were an associate professor. the doctor i got after i left her, would take on 5 things at once, if not more. she works like i could. fix everything, and ship em out. i dont want to see them anymore. she took care of business..
    i worked for a company once, that would only fix 1 problem at a time, so it would always give them more work. not everybody in the company was like that. but the person i worked under was. i think it drove me crazy. parental pressure to keep a job, that i hated. i got scruples. nuff said..