Is this some kind of a joke????

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by buckfever, Jan 4, 2011.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    For me, it is indeed! But, that isn't the defintion of sockdolager I intended, my intentions were more redneckish...kinda like, "By gosh, that wer a sockdolager; I guess the big varmint is kinder gettin 'riled! ":)

2. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    Trust me there are allot of Elk that get poached here in Pike Co. Like I stated before,I know several deer hunters that have already told me when they start to move in on there property they will feed the coyotes with them.

3. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Yeah but not many get to sit as a commissioner to make decisions on how to best funnel money into NFP organizations that their spouse controls the purse strings too...... Now excuse me while I find my blood pressure medicine.

4. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Ahhh ... good ole boy ... "Civil Disobedience" ... gotta love it!!!

Personally, I applaude those who take action in the face of a corrupt authority.

5. RJPOUTDOORS

RJPOUTDOORS 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2006
    Uniontown, Ky.
    I will sign also and can get about 50 more to sign, everyone is tired of being shaffted. Hell a friend of mine checked into getting his property burned off for re-growth for wildlife. The biologist that came looked things over then told him that he needed to re-seed and put in a food plot also. He gave my friend a companys card that just happened to be owned by the biologist father. Talk about KICK BACKS.

6. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    The Pres of the League of Sportsmen said today on Straders show that the Leagues attorney is looking into the appropriating of tags to the AWF.

7. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Wonder if there's going to be an AWF license plate after this session... Any plans on that front? Good moneymaker!

8. tex

tex 8 pointer

Dec 22, 2003
    Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
    Shouldn't surprise anyone. Business as usual. Thanks, as usual Buckfever. I appreciate the effort to shed light.

9. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I wrote a letter of complaint over the various recent problems associated with the elk program and KDFWR.

Here are the points I raised:

1. KRS 150.177 plainly states: "the commission may issue a special permit to an incorporated nonprofit wildlife organization". The phrase "a special permit" is clearly singular in nature and means no organization can receive more than one. The statute also plainly requires that each recipient be incorporated. These "commissioner's tags" are the gold standard for our conservation organizations b/c (a) they're transferable; (b) are valid in any hunting area in the state; and (c) they've fetched prices at auction upwards of $25,000.

2. KDFWR decided to issue 10 commissioner's elk tags amongst 29 applicants. In an anonymous vote in which the public wasn't told which commissioners voted for which applicants (a move which certainly violates Ky's Open Meetings Act), KDFWR awarded 3 tags to a single incorporated entity - the Appalachian Wildlife Foundation ("AWF"). The AWF claims to have 4 branches or chapters, but they're not branches in "the traditional sense". They don't have members, and nobody can join them. The votes for the 4 chapters ranged from 4 votes to 7 votes (7-5-5-4 votes in descending order). All 4 chapters were in the Top 11 vote-getters.

3. The 3 AWF chapters in the Top 10 all were awarded elk tags. Thus, AWF received 3/10 of the available tags. The conservation group primarily responsible for bringing elk to Ky, the RMEF, got ZERO tags for their 4 applications. Other tradition laden and well-known groups, such as NWTF, the Boy Scouts, and the Nature Conservancy well also denied tags.

4. The AWF was incorporated less than 6 months prior to the 3 bull elk tags being awarded. It is run by David Ledford (Elkguy). David Ledford was a former RMEF employee, and part of his salary was paid for by KDFWR before he left to organize the AWF. Taylor Orr was listed as a "director" of AWF on the Ky SOS website, although AWF later claimed that he recused that position within weeks of formation. Taylor Orr's wife remains the listed treasurer and secretary of that organization. Former commissioner, Tom Baker, was subsequently named as Chairman of the AWF Board of Directors.

5. No conflict of interest was disclosed to the public in writing by Mr. Orr or anyone else at KDFWR. Mr. Orr also failed to abstain from the vote on the elk tags.

6. Another Commissioner's tag was issued to the Cedar Creek Sportsman's Club, whose President is apparently a close personal friend of Commish Doug Hensley. Cedar Creek is a IRC 501 (c)(7) "social and recreational club" and not a 501(c)(3) wildlife conservation organization as required by law. Moreover, Cedar Creek was not even in "good standing" with the Ky SOS when it applied for the tags. KDFWR apparently ignored its ineligibility.

7. In the last 2 years, both Doug Hensley and Taylor Orr publicly sought to reduce the number of elk tags to the general public on the basis that they disagreed with KDFWR's biologists over the number of elk in Kentucky. The tags were consequently limited to 800 elk total and 200 bull elk.

8. At the same time that KDFWR commissioners sought to reduce the number of elk tags available to the public, and was giving multiple bull elk tags to its "insider" buddies, it was working out agreements to ship elk to Missouri and Virginia. With respect to Mo, Ky was apparently supposed to receive 600,000 fingerling crappie for stocking. Apparently, there is no contract between Mo and Ky. In one report, A KDFWR fisheries biologist reported that almost 90% of stocked crappie fingerlings will die quickly.

9. The Mo Dept of Conservation approved the elk transfer on October 15, 2011 and press release followed. The KDFWR commission approved the transfer of 50 elk to Missouri on December 3, 2011 (not sure what was approved for Va). To this very day, KDFWR has made no public statements regarding the elk for crappie transfer. However, within a week or 2 of the commissioner's vote, a great big pen suddenly appeared in Bell County, Kentucky, which KDFWR immediately began stocking with elk. The timing of all this makes it very suspicious that the decision/agreement to stock Mo with Ky elk was made in private long before the pro forma commissioner's meeting on December 3rd.

10. KDFWR employees were collecting elk to ship to Missouri before Kentucky's current season expired, which I'm sure was greatly appreciated by folks still trying to fill their tags.

11. Reports emanating from public sources vary greatly with respect to the ultimate number of elk being shipped to both Virginia and Missouri, but it appears that KDFWR may very well be planning on sending numbers of elk far in excess of the numbers approved by the Commission. Again, this would probably be illegal.

That pretty much wraps up my complaint! Y'all have a good weekend! :)

10. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    I don't understand

How do people like Taylor Orr and Doug Hensley get into positions of power like that? :confused:

If the answer is: They are appointed by a Kentucky elected offical .... then I understand perfectly.

Keep votin' 'em in folks. :(

11. Booney

Booney 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2008
    Southeast, KY
    Good Work! Your real name isn't Jim Strader is it? Just Kidding!

12. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Just curious, buckfever ... who was your complaint addressed to?

13. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I am getting fired up! I just spent $53.72 on crappie jigs and tubes....You can't spider rig elk!

14. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Be a heck of a fight if you snag one though. You gonna have us all rigged up come next month?

15. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Any foul hooked elk must be released immediately. And yes, the rig is ready minus the parts in storage at the Quackrstackr ranch.