Is this a mink?

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Crockett, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Ours don’t turn white like they do up north. We have the long tail here.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Its been a few years since i saw a mink and probably 20 the last weasel. I read this thread and wouldn't you know i saw 2 small red weasels tonight while driving home. I thought that strange. Both were within a hundred yards of a road kill skunk and near creek crossings.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    barney likes this.
  3. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Ive seen 1 in all the creek shenanigans I've done over the years. Funny thing is I never seen one then but a couple years ago I missed my turn bc my mind was elsewhere I reckon lol. I backed in the cemetery rd beside a creek and just happen to hear something thrashing on the bank next to the bridge. Im not sure if it was in hot pursuit of prey or just skeered of me but that dude could flat move through some nasty thick brush. I told a boy that traps mostly yotes etc and does pretty well at it. He said he'd been after a mink under that bridge for 2 seasons without catching him lol. I imagine this is a piss poor year for any kind of trapping with all this rain.

barney likes this.
  4. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I always liked a rainy night and was my best chances to catch mink . With so many roads , parking lots, land in corn and soybeans , it seems like creeks raise faster and get bigger than it used to . I always used a light weak spring trap and set the tongue trigger to barely holding. I twist the spring to 90 degrees so it is not sticking out straight. I would use a piece of brown paper bag on top and covered with soil/ mud. Old Indian trapper used a piece of a muskrat leg tied just about 4" above his traps. At the beginning of trapping season they were easier to catch but as season went on they get smarter and know to avoid traps.

5. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
  6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Wednesday @ 8pm KET has a nature show about Weasels and minks. Might learn something