Is there a pigeon season ?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by patiodadio, Nov 30, 2021.

1. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    I have been seeing lots of pigeons out here in the backwoods, is there a season on them ?

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    No season or limits on em. Wear em out. They really like mojos

bowhunter269 and patiodadio like this.
  3. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Want to eat one

patiodadio likes this.
  4. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    what are they comparable to?

I don’t like dove, anything you have to put bacon on to make palatable isn’t “that” good.

Onthedge likes this.
  5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    They serve squab in fine dining restaurants. Squab is just a young farmed pigeon. Never eaten one though so not sure on the taste.

Tankt likes this.
  6. CalebConn16

CalebConn16 6 pointer

May 27, 2016
    Dude you don’t like deer, don’t like dove, I’m betting you don’t like catfish or crappie either. I’m starting to think you’re a commie

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Sewer rat with a beak.

KYote-Krusher and EdLongshanks like this.
  8. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    They are delicious fried for breakfast then make gravy from the drippins.
    Just like for dove and venison if your dead set on cooking it like fried chicken and beef then it taste like shit.

9. baknblack

baknblack 12 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I love the taste of dove. Battered and fried with a little salt and pepper. I love the taste of deer as well but, the backstraps are the only thing tender enough to just batter and fry with no additional tenderizing.
    I thought bear meat taste like shit as well as duck. Guess everyone's taste buds are different.

10. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    If you had to eat deer chili, deer spaghetti, deer burgers, canned deer, deer sausage every meal every day while the mines were shut down and pray every day your dad will kill a rabbit or your grandma will butcher a chicken you might lose a taste for certain fare. We sold the jerky so I never got to eat it and usually sold the smoked rabbits and didn’t get to eat them either.
    I don’t like catfish. I don’t like dove.
    I love deer jerky, made 4 whole deer last year into jerky, made 3 thus far this year. I enjoy the occasional deer steak, of course loin and Backstrap.
    Love crappie and democracy.
    I eat my ducks livers and gizzard, same with turkeys. Don’t waste much but I also don’t kill anything I’m not going to use and enjoy. Before I go killing a mess of pigeon I’d like a idea of flavor. If it’s as good as quail or snipe I’m all in.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  11. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Need that smoked rabbit recipe sir.

I don't mind eating deer every day bc there are so many ways to fix it. Fried like a steak, battered like chicken, grilled, fajitas/Mexican, endless opportunities for ground meat.

Then again, I didn't get this size by being picky.

12. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    I’ll work on that. We used to take all the kids rabbits that parents didn’t want after Easter. Butcher them all and line em up in a smoker then sell them back for $2.

Things got better later. Now I can be picky. If I don’t “love it” I’m just not going to eat it. I know for a fact though that food does not have to taste good to eat it.

Brody, FF/EMT516 and bearleft like this.
  13. baknblack

baknblack 12 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I'd try one. Probably taste a lot like a dove.

patiodadio likes this.
  14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I have eaten squab that I mentioned above in a couple restaurants in the past. To me it is most comparable to chicken thighs or any dark chicken meat I guess. Now the wild ones fly a lot much like a dove so its likely they are tougher and get that organ meat taste if overcooked. Fix em the right way though and I would say they are as good as any other meat.

Little FR likes this.
  15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    A squab is a young bird that has never flown. Big distinction.