Is it to late to move a stand?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by camclo01, Oct 28, 2015.

1. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    I am going to my farm on Friday and I am thinking about moving my best stand. I say best because I see a lot of deer from it but unfortunately they have all approached me from behind unexpectedly and to see them before they enter my shooting lane I have to lean around the tree and I have been picked off once already. My fear about moving it is that I may spook off game in the area for my three day sit next weds thurs and Friday but I am also worried that if one of our target bucks show up he will pick me off because I won't see him approaching.

What would u all do???

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

2. web splitter

web splitter 8 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
  3. Lost_in_the_woods

Lost_in_the_woods 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2008
    graves county
    Move it. I use a climber and a pop up and move regularly.

4. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    This is a lock on so it Shouldnt be to bad to move. First time I have used one and it took me a while the first time lol

5. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    I appreciate the quick feedback as I have really been going back and forth on this

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    No question in my mind, I would move it

7. imthemedic

imthemedic 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2011
    Definitely move it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    MOVE IT! Go in there and move it mid day and dont be shy about it. Make plenty of noise so if they do hear or see you they wont get the since that your hunting them. I would move it without batting a eye if I thought I had a better place to put it. I have moved stands at noon and killed deer that afternoon out of them. GOOD LUCK

9. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Unless you like just seeing them now is the time to move. If it were still early in the season and you were hunting a pattern then it would be iffy but now everything is about to change plus if you wait until all the leaves fall they will really notice your move.

10. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    Do you think taking the atv in there and letting it run the whole time would be helpful to make sure they stay away

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I wouldn't run a ATV at all. It is never to late to move a stand. If you think about hunters use climbing stands every day. Carrying them into the woods and they are not quiet hitting limbs and stuff along the way.Then climbing up isn't real quiet either and KILL Deer out of them. I have used lockons a lot.Hunted out one a couple of days seeing Deer 70 yards out.Second day after I hunted as I was getting down I was taking the stand down to.Moved out to where I was seeing the Deer put it back up and took a 156 Buck out of it that afternoon. One thing for sure you wont get a Deer if you are not in the spot they are at.MOVE THE STAND.

12. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    It's never too late to move a stand.

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I hung a stand in September, cut branches off the tree, etc. Killed a doe out it an hour after the last ratchet strap went on.

I'd move it. I just did the same thing with a blind. Popped it up in some brush in a field that, for whatever reason, the deer all funnel to. Haven't had a chance to hunt it yet, but I'll let you know on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I never understood the fear of moving a stand. I always felt the first sit after a move was the best. Maybe that's because I'm usually in a climber.

Do it in the middle of the day. You should be fine unless your stand is in a bedding area. If it is then move it in the middle of the night.

15. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Deer are less spooked by an ATV than being busted walking upon them, so it won't hurt you to drive your atv to the tree if you want. When the rut hits deer from a distance come by anyway. Deer get spooked everyday by something, people, coyotes, machines, etc. If they never revisited a place they were spooked, then they'd have nowhere to go.