Is it time to make Xbow season the same ?

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
How so? Crossbows don’t belong in an archery season. But that ship has sailed, since we now have a 5 month crossbow season. Let’s move our rifle season out of the peak of the rut. And back to December first.
So you can't shoot a bow with less than 80% let off but you call a crossbow a gun?
You also want the rut left to only archery?

Sounds like another elitist to me.

east_ky_hunter

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2010
East Ky
How so? Crossbows don’t belong in an archery season. But that ship has sailed, since we now have a 5 month crossbow season. Let’s move our rifle season out of the peak of the rut. And back to December first.
Peak of the rut is typically the week before rifle season, depending when the second Saturday falls.

Bowmostofthetime86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county
So you can't shoot a bow with less than 80% let off but you call a crossbow a gun?
You also want the rut left to only archery?

Sounds like another elitist to me.
No I don’t like a bow with anything more than 80% let off. I personally like 75 on a compound. That is not an option on all models so In that case I shoot 80% because that’s the lowest offered. I also shoot a 55# longbow. And a 50# pound recurve. None of my bows have a stock a scope a tac rail, nor are they shot from a bench rest.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
No I don’t like a bow with anything more than 80% let off. I personally like 75 on a compound. That is not an option on all models so I’m that case I shoot 80% because that’s the lowest offered. I also shoot a 55# longbow. And a 50# pound recurve. None of my bows have a stock a scope a tac rail, nor are the shot from a bench rest.
My bad. I misread your statement about let-off.

But I don't agree with an archery only rut. That's when the deer population gets put in check. If you removed the guns for the rut the population would explode and the insurance companies would go crazy.

Bowmostofthetime86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county
My bad. I misread your statement about let-off.

But I don't agree with an archery only rut. That's when the deer population gets put in check. If you removed the guns for the rut the population would explode and the insurance companies would go crazy.
Works in Ohio, other states as well. Just seems reasonable to me if the success rate rises in one season due to changes. Then we should adjust in the season with the highest success rate.

Not trying to sound like an elitist at all. You just have to take into account that a large portion of the permits sold. Go unfilled. When success rates rise, sooner or later opportunities are lost. Especially with cwd knocking at the door on all borders. And the changes that that will surely bring at some point.

Last edited:

Derek Trent

6 pointer
Aug 17, 2019
Carter county
Have crossbows hurt the deer population in anyway ?
It’s not about that. The point of archery season being so long is because it is harder to harvest with a bow as you make it easier with technology and the success rates go up you will have to to shorten the season. Technology is simply replacing woodsman ship. I’m all for folks doing what makes them happy but I feel that if you have to set limitations on equipment or eventually they will have to shorten the season.

Latest posts