Is it OK to share your harvest?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by beauhunter41031, Oct 30, 2019.

Do you think it is OK to share a harvest with others

1. Yes

105 vote(s)
    99.1%
  2. Noooooo.. Every man and woman for themselves

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Good motto to live by

2. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    I can understand why he doesn't have anyone to hunt or fish with. I hope his dad isn't the one that's instilled his undesirable values.

barney, Winchester94 and Gooser like this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've seen that before.

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I bet like anyone that grew up in the 50's and 60's shared more then deer with people. No telling how many rabbits and squirrels my dad and myself gave to people over the years. The only thing I never seen him not share was Quail or Frog Leg's. I could come in at 2 am with a mess of Frogs and he would get my mom up and him and my sister would eat them fast as I could skin them and she could fry them....:D
    We lived in Louisville when I was around 7 for a while. All black family's live right behind us. People in the apartment building told dad he may as well get used to parking one street over as the blacks would take up all the spaces. He would come to Muhlenberg and Butler countys and rabbit hunt near every week of the season and bring back several rabbits on Sunday night and give them to the black people. Funny they would block all the parking spots until they seen him come home from work and run out and move cars and make room for him. A little kindness went a long way back then.

mudhole crossing and Dark Cloud like this.
  5. Duckhuntingman

Duckhuntingman Fawn

Oct 29, 2019
    Campbell county
    The reason he doesn't is cause he was always hunted and fish with his dad and no one else and now that his dad sick he does have a few but no hardcore hunters that want to go every weekend

6. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Is that your excuse for him being bitter and selfish when it comes to sharing deer meat? If you think about it he's the only one that's been an ass about it. If over 70 people and that's just the ones that's voted and I'm sure you could add millions more to it agree it's ok to share deer and he's the only one voting against it that should be enough for common sense to tell you what kind of person he is. Hell my dad died 27 years ago right before bow season and I wasn't a weekend warrior but an actual hardcore hunter that went almost every day of season but that year I just couldn't get into it and didn't hunt hardly any. I know my dad wouldn't have wanted me to be that way but alone time wasn't fun time. It didn't make me bitter or an ass to people and the next season I jumped back on the horse again. You don't have to have someone with you hunting and fishing if you enjoy it the same as you don't have to have a significant other to enjoy life. He's only hurting himself being bitter and selfish and pretty damn stupid in the process.

Feedman and Winchester94 like this.
  7. Duckhuntingman

Duckhuntingman Fawn

Oct 29, 2019
    Campbell county
    In all honesty I have heard bad things also about the donation process of the meat where the places don't use the meat. Also no you don't have to have someone with you to go fishing or hunting but you should never really hunt or fish alone. To many things can go wrong. I always say safety first. I can see where he coming from when he says about not wanting to hunt and fish alone. I think that a great idea and respect him for that. There to many things that can go wrong. I myself won't ever go alone either. If a person doesn't agree with something that doesn't make him a bad person. Heck I'm sure there something everyone does we all don't agree on. People died for our freedom's so we can speak our mind and have freedom of speech . People are probably afraid to voice there opinion because they don't want to get jumped on . At least he not shooting things and just letting them lay. I know people that have harvested things just to say they shot then and don't use any of it. They just let it go to waste or get the meat they want and that it. They let the rest lay and they don't use anything else. I heard others say they only harvest for themselves. I know people that was taught you don't eat it unless your going to use it nothing wrong with it. Say there a guy that goes duck hunting and shoot mallard hens well I know guys that only believe in shooting Drake Mallards. Doesn't mean I'm going to jump all over them for saying we should only shoot Drake Mallards. I'm just going to be thankful this is the USA and we have freedom of speech.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Except, in another thread, he was also bashing people, like me, physically taking a deer to a family’s home, for that family’s consumption. Even making fun of them, and me I guess, when I said they wept because they had almost nothing, and really needed it. Had nothing to do with a food bank using, or not using the venison. Which, being honest, he, and you, are only using to try and justify an opinion that no one else has, and is flawed.

beauhunter41031 and Gooser like this.
  9. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    We donate 30-40 deer per year, whether it's to H4H or specific people.

10. Duckhuntingman

Duckhuntingman Fawn

Oct 29, 2019
    Campbell county
    Before I became a member on here I did read some post where people did say they have problems with the food banks

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  11. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    I have harvested deer for neighbor Jim, I guess that makes me a terrible person.

12. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    So like him, you’re reaching for everything you can to justify the action (freedom of speech), for the flawed opinion of food banks, h4h, donation, etc? Let it go dude. There’s nothing wrong with it. NOTHING. Maybe if you tried to help others, along with nonhunter24, you’d understand what giving a family in need some venison really does. Until then, take your freedom of speech on somewhere else. Just because you can do it, doesn’t always mean it’s what’s best...

Gooser and Winchester94 like this.
  13. baitman

baitman Fawn

Oct 30, 2007
    Hardin Ky.
    I have a lady with six children down the road from me that wants and needs the meat. We have plenty of does so, i try to keep them well stocked with venison. Last season hunters in our area provided seven deer for them and they were out of meat summer. It was catfish and crappie until fall.

14. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    I can get our church to help I'll send gift cards and set up a go fund me

15. WMAallDAY

WMAallDAY Spike

Nov 27, 2017
    Bluegrass Region
    Share away! But if you try and sell it without the proper permits, may Theodore Roosevelt rise from the dead and smash you with the Big Stick.