Is .22 Mag enough?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Mt Pokt, May 2, 2021.

1. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    So I'm mowing my yard, riding the lawn tractor, listening to some country music. I look towards the house, about 50-60 feet from me and my lovely bride is standing on the porch taking photos of me with her phone. She's crazy like that...
    I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye and I think "cool, a grey fox is cruising through". I turn to look and it's a mangey yote, and the sucker is cruising on the retaining wall from my left to my right halfway between me and the porch.
    Despite the wife taking photos, she doesn't get one of the dog.
    I jumped off the tractor and hollered at her to get me a gun! She disappeared before I could give her clearer instructions and came back with my Glock 23x.
    The dog was gone by that point, vanished into the woods eventhough at a slow pace.
    Never had a yote come that close while there were two of us there, me on the mower, and the wife standing on the porch. This dog passed about 20 feet between us, when there are acres and acres 50 feet behind me.
    To the point... she's holding the Glock and I'm thinking "what the he'll am I going to do with that?" I can see my turkey gun from the door, though no rounds in the vicinity. I don't know what I expected to see when she came back. My RRA .223? One of a variety of shotguns or Glocks? Perhaps a bolt action anywhere from .17 WMR up to .300WM? Maybe a lever? .22? .30-30? .45-70?
    It was one of those "fetch me a gun" moments and I mistakenly expected she had the wherewithal to bring me the right tool for the job. It was a little comical.
    Finally I asked her to get my Henry Golden Boy .22 Mag. Figuring at the range I have in my back yard that it wouldn't be too much gun, but curios now if it's enough to ethically put a mangey (or otherwise) yote out of its misery at ranges inside of 40 yards. It's loaded with 30gr Hornaday V-Max and going to find a home above the back door rather than the cold darkness of my gun safe.

TLDR:
    .22 mag for yote inside of 40 yards ethical?:D

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I'd say yes with a different bullet. Not sure the vmax would get the penetration.

jblack1 and Mt Pokt like this.
  3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    What he said. Get rid of the V-Maxs, they won't shoot through a half grown coon. 40 grain bullet and shoot em in the front half and you're good to go.

4. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Looks like I have some 40gr Maxi-Mags!
    20210502_160054.jpg

jblack1, Feedman and Meatstick like this.
  5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
  6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    22 mag is great on coyotes inside of 100yrds with a 40 gr hollow point, I have kled many with them.

Semp, jblack1 and Mt Pokt like this.
  7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    .22 Mag is under appreciated and even more so since the 17 came out. That 22 Mag will flat put it on stuff! I've killed hundreds of groundhogs, fall turkeys, crop damage deer (not in chest, though I have seen a guy do it), squirrels, foxes and yotes, you name it with the mag. Love it.

riverboss, Meatstick and barney like this.
  8. Should be fine,what ever I got with me he is getting ,even if its a rock lol

9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I once killed a sizable Coyote, on a Squirrel Hunt, with my .22 Rifle, using CCI .22 LR H.P. Took three shots @ around 50 yards. The last Coyote I shot was with my .222 CZ-527 rifle @ some 150 yards one-shot.

CRFmxracer and riverboss like this.
  10. Riflelooney

Riflelooney 6 pointer

Aug 7, 2016
    The 22mag will work just fine at the ranges you mentioned and then some.

However there is a bullet out there that stands out above the rest for this job and I didn't see it mentioned. Federal makes a 50g JHP load that is the cats meow for their kind of work. I know things are tough right now but if you could find that load you'd be in real good shape. If not that load I'd go with the 40g maxi mag.

good luck!

11. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Thanks!

I'll keep my eyes peeled. Have no trouble finding .22 LR, 9mm, .45, .223 and 5.56. Can't seem to find anything I need though!

12. Riflelooney

Riflelooney 6 pointer

Aug 7, 2016

Where are you located? If you're close to Ashland....I think I have a partial box of the 50s....I don't use a 22WMR much these days.

Munson, Mt Pokt and barney like this.
  13. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Campbell County (Cincinnati South). I appreciate the offer! I'll pass for the time being. I don't see the dogs at my home very often so I'd hate to get something and not use it. I have different medicine for the farm dogs.

14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Ky Gun Co had 22 mag last time I was there, not sure which load. Will be doing a drive by later this week, now you've given me reason to stop and shop for ya. Thanks a lot, probably be a $350 stop for me. A Savage 17 hmr kept falling off the rack into my hands each time I walked by last trip. :)

Mt Pokt likes this.
  15. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    You need to stop blaming me for that. :D:D