Investing for retirement

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Strutter, Jan 22, 2021.

1. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Many years ago people were Experimenting buying bitcoins by the hundreds When it was in its infancy and cheap. Those people are now millionaires.

Not trying to hijack this thread so this will be my last post everybody have a good day best of luck with your investments

drakeshooter and EdLongshanks like this.
  2. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    You do realize the leftest tech companies currently censoring all are pushing your angle, don't you?

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s not how that works but ok

CRFmxracer likes this.
  4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Okay Eddie, sure. Regardless, stocks, at least the ones holding my attention, are doing splendiditly. You are better off there and property.

5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I never took an interest in Bitcoin so I'm not sure how it works. I know it's worth a ton right now but not sure if you buy and sell it like stock.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Most of those financial guys live in big homes for a reason.

xbokilla and KYote-Krusher like this.
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    They are printing money like crazy, do you think it makes sense to have a bunch of money in cash right now?

8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    My stock holdings as well as my IRA have performed very positively the past four years. Especially this past year!

120+ and HuntressOfLight like this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Being how, during one of his less than brighter moments, the village idiot asininely introduced colonel into the thread, and his COVID-19 test result returned positive a few hours later, the topic currently fails to interest me even more than usual, and especially since I only now awakened, remaining mostly asleep. But to be polite and answer your question, I never consider it a bad idea to have a decent amount of cash on hand, being that you never know when emergencies will occur, such as natural disasters, for example. Doing so in such a manner which may potentially harm your fellow countrymen and future generations is not only sheer stupidity, but also treasonous, from my perspective. Besides, none of you are going to enjoy retirement, anyway, because you will become bored without something to do each day; so, I wouldn't suggest worrying about it.

10. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    HoL - Sorry to hear about your dad. Thoughts and prayers for a very mild infection and a speedy recovery.

With regard to retirement investing - from someone who has been in the market for over 40 years....First, time in the market is more important than timing the market. Slow and steady wins this race every time.

Second, Spiders. (SPY) It is an index fund - not a mutual fund. The composition of the fund isn't based on someone in NYC who has a short-term view and the singular goal of maximizing his/her quarterly bonus. I buy my shares through my discount broker and I'm not paying a fee to anyone. Now, as it says at the bottom of every prospectus - past performance is no indication of future results....but this fund has done okay for me.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Yes, it's been a great 4 years but I'm very nervous about the next 4.

12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I am also nervous about the next four years.

13. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Thats not even a word

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Maybe I was feeling creative. Sue me; I possess high confidence that my legal counsel is much more talented than that of your own. Fact.

By the way, you omitted a necessary apostrophe.

15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Investing in china is likely the best bet but i just cant/wont do that.

TripleGee and davers like this.