Interesting Cumberland Co telecheck data

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KTF, Dec 9, 2010.

1. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    2006-970 deer checked
    2007-845
    2008-734
    2009-663
    2010-484 as of 12/9/10

Still have muzzleloading season and more bow to go.Cumberland Co averages approximately 100 deer per year with muzzleloader per year by Telecheck Data.With 30 muzzle loading deer checked so far,leaves 70 more to reach the average per year.With bad weather forecast for muzzleloading weekend opening and overall poor deer sighting ,don't think we will see 70 deer checked rest of year.Add 70 to 484=554 deer .Another down year again/5 years in a row seeing a decline.

Blue tongue had a large effect on population,poaching and not reporting kills are probably still the same.With the hugh increase in coyote population,I believe that we are losing a significant number of fawns to coyote depredation.Been seeing a dramatic decrease in yearling deer sightings.Anyone seen this? Any opinions?

2. deerhunter2

deerhunter2 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Ky
    Blue tongue hit in 2007 if i remember right. So they shouldnt be declining of it. they should be rebounding a little by now but they arent. something funny is going on with the whitetails.

3. Eastky Bowhunter

Eastky Bowhunter 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    I have noticed a lot counties have had a decrease over the last five years. 2 that come to mind are Elliott and Martin. Both are in the east, but I have noticed it all over the state.

It could be a lot of factors. Decrease in crops, decrease of hunters, fewer deer being checked in, EHD outbreak from a few years ago.

4. thomas45

thomas45 Spike

Nov 16, 2010
    Blue tongue hit in 2007 pretty bad we found nine deer dead on our farm that was jus around our ponds. deer sightings this year was low and yotes are bad on my end of the county.

5. welder-hunter

welder-hunter Fawn

Dec 5, 2010
    Cumberland co,KY
    I live and hunt in Cumberland county and I am willing to bet the deer herd is about 1/3 what it was before EHD hit in 2007,maybe less than that.I feel like there were too many deer killed in 07,08,and 09,especially does,and now we are paying the price.I can say for sure we do have a major poaching problem here,but I don't think this is the main reason for this decline.Cumberland county hunters,please think this late muzzleloader season before you harvest a doe.If we don't let the herd cath up for a couple years,ther may not be any left.

6. lexfd

lexfd 6 pointer

Aug 27, 2008
    At peace in a tree
    That is the # for Madison every year.. You now see the herd numbers I deal with every year...people kill the same and herd # keep dropping every year!! Good luck to ya

7. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Just a comment....I applaud you for bringing some data with you. Many others complain about KYFWD without any numbers. You did some research and provided the numbers in your post. Nice !
    (.....and to those who condemn telechek, I'm not agreeing with the numbers, but he at least used what is available :) )

8. thomas45

thomas45 Spike

Nov 16, 2010
    poaching is bad in cumberland county