Input needed

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by duckdawg, Apr 3, 2002.

1. duckdawg

duckdawg 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2002
    Please take a look at www.duckhunter.net
    click on refuge forums and then upland game messages and read the "public enemy #1" posts. Everyone here seems to know and appreciate wildlife as much as I do, so post your opinion. I would really like to see a comment from DC on there. Thanks y'all for your time. I guess "Thorn" is for real and is starting to get alot of support money to make a run at changing this regulation.

Edited by - MQ1ofKy on 04/03/2002 6:06:51 PM

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Thanks DuckDawg,
    This is worth reading. It asks many questions that are going to be avoided like the plague.
    I for one agree 100% with Thorn.
    Would you ask him to post it to this site?

3. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I agree there needs to be a control of the predator species. I've just finished reading the other replies. This is (the Hawk/Owl) issue is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Predators (ALL) not just hawks and owls need control. Be it, coons, 'possums, yotes or house cats. If there are more than the area will support. Something has to go. This may sound harsh to some, sorry but I really ain't a real "politicly correct" person.
    I've asked this similar question on this site that others have asked on the one you mentioned. The one about building a habitat oasis and they will come. I know of 400 acres of continious farm land that has not changed shape much over the past 30 years except to improve habitat. There were 10-12 coveys of quail then and then none for the last 20 years. We know the winters of 77 & 78 took their toll, but some surely survived. With happened to the "seed"? It must have been eaten in my opinion.

I'm sorry if this post rambles. It is a very touchy subject for me and I am having problems getting my point out.

4. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Darton,
    Would you please move this to the Small Game section. I appologize for debating this under F&W. I would like seeing this debated on this forum by others.

5. duckdawg

duckdawg 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2002
    sorry darton, good idea gsp!

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Yep predators need to be cut back we've protected them for to long, and that in it's self is not uncommon for wild life departments. How it's to be done I'm not sure but it needs to be done.
    But the habitat and food plots are a must with out food and a place to nest we'll have nothing. I would hope, Roy would agree. The comments on that site were pleasing to read, for everyone realized our small game is the most important issue on the table at this time and that most departments are doing nothing or very little about the problem.
    Our public lands, at least in eastern ky. must have major habitat work along with alternative food sources, for like other areas private land owners are posting their land for hunting. With out these public lands and good small game numbers the department will be out in cool before long. And we don't what to see that happen, they've done a terrific job with turkey, deer, and looks like with elk, but with out habitat and food quick for small game we're in trouble. I would hate to see hunter opportunity shortened because of the lack of work, from a few people, especially when we have the knowledge.

7. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    DuckDawg,
    I walked away, collected my thoughts and went back to the site and re-read the post. At my first reading I did not notice 3 pages and only read the first response by Thorn. While I can not agree in full with all his other replies, they were getting rather far off track, I do agree with his first post. Theory vs: Experiance, this too is a balance of nature also that needs to be kept in check.
    A very good example is posted on this site under Quail. I have one side telling me they can show me on paper how something will not work (Quail stocking) and I have people inviting me to their farm to prove that it does work!? I too have witnessed this practice working, but every "official" will quickly point out they can give me 100's of documents to prove what I am seeing is not true.
    I do not mean this as a slam to the biologist here. I am just trying to open everyones eyes and minds that nature can not be soley based on Theory or Experiance, it must be based on a mixture of both!
    As for my first post on this subject? I stand beside it. Predators should be kept in check, regardless if it walks, crawls, swims, flies or slithers on its belly.
    Wonder why the Dept has open season on Yotes? Does not Yotes eat (quail predators) every thing hawks and owls eat?????????

8. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Gentlemen ,

In Kentucky , we need to encourage harvest of predators , not discourage it. And discourage is exactly what Ky F&W has done by raising the cost of trapping license to $17.50 , even for a kid who wants to run a little trap line after school!! Land owner can hunt on his own land for free, but, has to buy a $10.00 trapping license??
    This needs to be changed!
    Some states have changed some predators status from fur bearer to Varmints(legal all year).
    Should Ky change some predators status to varmint ( i.e. oppossoms )?? What do you guys think??

9. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    oh yeah, i especially agree on the 'possums and the 'yotes

10. CPA Hunter

CPA Hunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I be darned Valley, we agree on something! Life never tends to amaze me—of course I am little on the dark side on this issue, so it figures.

I have heard of some individuals controlling raptors illegally to help rabbit populations. I don’t know who or where, just hearsay, and results were supposedly astonishing. These raptors are illegally controlled by placing leg traps on top of 10 to 20 foot post the raptors would use for hunting perches. I have never seen one but it sounds like it would work.

Anyway, for rabbits it is often considered that Owls, not hawks were their biggest problem. I guess the larger Owls have an easier time on rabbits. Also, rabbits and owls are both nocturnal creatures. I would love to see them controlled in some way. I am 36 and I still remember when you did not see a lot of hawks or hear owls and of course rabbits and quail were everywhere. Yea, habitat has a lot to do with it, but when you go to places that have habitat and not rabbits it makes me wonder where they go. For rabbits, fescue has a lot to do with it, but a few less hawks or owls won’t hurt my feelings. Honestly, I’d never mess with one, but I understand the reasons others do or want to, but I don’t see them making much of a dent in the raptor population. I’m sure my pot-lickers will find a rabbit or two, raptors or not, but if they had a season I’d surely try to do some damage.

Also note, small game go in cycles, but the highs (even on good habitat) will never be what they were in the 70s and before.

Something, I have noticed a lot of the deer hunters and turkey hunters (which I am) seem to dislike all the funds spent on small game or fescue elimination, but they forget their roots. Most of us started small, and the ones that didn’t, well I feel sorry for them to have missed out. These funds help future generations get hooked.

I don’t know about you guys/gals, but I get a possum or raccoon pretty regular when they get anywhere near a road I’m driving on—darn egg eaters. Now mind you, I don’t crash my truck, but I sure don’t wear out the breaks either or have an accident to miss one.

Leave a few for seed!

11. Valley Station

Dang it CPA , ya' don't have to embarrass me in public like that, by ageein'with me! Your bunny bustin' buddies haven't been feedin' ya "smart pills" they been finded , have they?
    One of our locals got tired of losing his rare and expensive peacocks a few years ago to Great horned owls, set trap on pole . Works real good . However , he got caught and cost him a bunch of money and trip to Washington , D.C.

12. CPA Hunter

CPA Hunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Valley, now your making me laugh--I'll try not to do it again.

I guess those poles do work. Wonder how the guy got caught--must of told someone how good it worked. If I had one up my wife would not even know. I don't and if I did I would not have even brought it up on this site--now that will make you wonder.

13. Valley Station

The site was visible from the road. Some one drove by, saw Great horned owl hangin' from chain and called the game warden.
    I know you or I wouldn't do it , but, for those whom would " Be sure to check and remove "vermin" from your trap, before day light".

14. Valley Station

The site was visible from the road. Some one drove by, saw Great horned owl hangin' from chain and called the game warden.
    I know you or I wouldn't do it , but, for those whom would " Be sure to check and remove "vermin" from your trap, before day light".

15. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Now boys, Now boys.