Infrared Grill

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by coysmoker, Aug 2, 2014.

1. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    Does anyone have an Infrared Grill? I bought one last year and I'm really disappointed. I can't cook meat worth a dang on the thing. Does anyone have any advise for me?

2. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    I have one. Was great for 4 years but gas tents rusted out over the winter. I threw a small grate in the bottom of the infrared bowl, bought some lump charcoal and been using it all summer. Won't go back to gas now, the charcoal bug has bit me. Looking for a good deal on a Weber this fall.

3. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    It took me 3 tries to get it down before I was decent. They cook very hot and meat may get done before it actually turns brown. Watch your temps and time vs color of the meat

4. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    I had one until this spring. The grates and side rails burned out after about 3 years of fairly heavy use. I was happy with it until it fell apart, which was most likely my fault anyway. I mostly used one heat setting - "clean" - full blast, wide open. I'd let it warm up for 20 minutes or so and then slap on the steaks. Depending on thickness 3 - 5 minutes a side. Burgers maybe a little longer with no worries about flare ups. Get that thing hot enough to singe the hair off of your arms when you open it and it'll cook a mean steak. I had no real complaints about it other than I thought it should have lasted longer. My wife bought me a Weber charcoal grill to hold us over until I decided on a replacement and I've quit looking.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    You have to understand Infrared cooking is different than regular cooking. Like said, they cook hot and fast which you do want when cooking steak and burgers. Ribs, butts. roast and other meats you want a lower temp and more time.

One thing everybody makes a mistake with is they do not allow their steaks to get up to room temps before throwing them on the grill. As hot as the Infrated gets it cooks the outside of the meat while the middle is still cold from being in the refrigerator then while you are trying to get the middle warm it overcooks the outside. Depending on the thickness set your meat in the room for 2-3 hours before throwing it on the grill.

6. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I agree. They take some getting use to. It's easy to overcook a steak for a while, but it's hard to ruin one..because they seal the juices in so fast. It's hard to even imagine how juicy burgers can be on one.

7. superrman77

superrman77 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2004
    I think they are junk. Cooking over a flame is the way to go.

8. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    All you gotta do is pull the grates and you will have open flame

9. coysmoker

coysmoker 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2010
    Boone Co.
    Thanks for the replies. It is a lot different cooking because it gets so hot. I cooked some burgers last night and they turned out pretty tasty. It was hard to believe how fast they were done and were juicy. I'll try steak next ....

10. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    I bought one this year and like some have said they cook hot and fast but I love it. I put on 1 1/2" - 2" thick steaks or chops. Steaks cook from 4-6 minutes per side depending on how people want them and chops about 6 minutes. Chicken breast cook about the same. The high heat sears in all the juices am just makes for an awesome piece of meat. Remember to give them time to rest once you take them off the grill.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Had mine for two years now. Used charcoal until I bought it. I didn't think I'd like gas but love the infrared. Heats evenly, no hotspots. I bought a Charbroil and like the company too. They send emails where you can buy parts and accessories, many that aren't sold in stores.

12. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I am using mine right now. Bacon wrapped top round and half of it has been marinading in Szcechuan sauce fo some kick. 20140807_205535.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  13. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011