Info on Antelope Hunt?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Davidlondon4, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 12 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    I am wanting to take an archery antelope hunt this year preferably to Wyoming but wont rule out other states.Looking at mid-August for the most part.Would like a DIY on public land or maybe pay a small trespass fee on a private ranch.Also want to camp out if possible.Anyone got any good suggestions and/or unit numbers to apply for? I know this type hunt would probably be over a waterhole in a blind at this time of year.

2. ken w

ken w 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2003
    clarkson, ky, USA.
    you might want to check out nw sd harding co near buffalo lots of goats and lots of public land we camp in the natl forest only a few min away from good pronghorn hunting
    tags are unlimited season opens around aug 20th

3. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Lots of speed goats around Gillette,Wyoming area.

4. Louhunter

Louhunter 8 pointer

Feb 11, 2003
    Louisville, Kentucky.
  5. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    back in the woods you see
    I hunted in Montana a few years back on public land. Not a question of if you will get a shot at the right waterhole,question is when. It is a blast, pay the trepass fees and have fun.

6. Hiker

Hiker 6 pointer

Jan 17, 2009
    Kentucky
    Wyoming has more Pronghorns than any other state in the west. Most ranchers will let you hunt them, if you get a hold of them before season and ask for permission. Call WY Game and Fish (307) 777-4600 and get a list of wardens. They know most of the ranchers that'll allow hunting. Sometimes they'll charge a small trespass fee. WY also has millions of acres of public land that you can hunt for free but you might need a preference point or two to draw a buck tag.

7. rick243

rick243 10 pointer

Oct 16, 2005
    SouthEast Ky
    Wyo

I would try area 58 or 59 down below Rock Springs. Near Cow Creek Ranch. It is mostly all BLM land and when I was there you could stand on a hill and see herds of antelope as far as you could see in all directions. Lots of B&C goats have come from those areas.

8. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    I was with KEN W, in Harding Co., South Dakota a couple years ago. I shot a buck that was 1/2" shy of making P&Y on the first morning. Tons of walk in area, you can see the goats from the road just about everywhere. The best thing about SD, was the tags were cheaper than Wyoming, and the tag is good anywhere in the state. Wyoming is unit specific, with some units being very limited draw.

9. lances

lances 10 pointer

Sep 12, 2004
    Lake Cumberland KY
    Wyoming is full of them. We paid 15 dollars for about 60,000 acres. I am sure it is more now but it was a great deal. It is a great trip make sure you take leather gloves and tough pants to deal with the cactus, they are mean.

10. MrHank

MrHank 8 pointer

Jun 7, 2005
    Henry Co. KY
    I am currently in the process of booking a gun hunt in early Sept. in Wyoming. Its a guided hunt that includes everything but the tag for 3 days of hunting and if you kill on the first day you then have the option for coyote, prairie dog or fishing for the rest of you're stay. If you are interested pm me and I will give you some more info, good luck.