In need of mater help fellas (pics enclosed)

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by westkybanded, Jun 15, 2011.

1. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Ok... So I wanted to show the boy a little about growing some veggies this summer without putting out a whole big garden, so we went to Walmart and bought a "Roma" tomato plant, a "Purple Heirloom" tomato plant, a bell pepper, a rosemary, and a cabbage. Both tomato plants are doing just fine until you look closer at the purple heirloom:

[​IMG]

Looks good, but then I've got this problem with the blooms:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blossoms come out looking great, then they just wilt and fall off without producing any fruit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things are getting plenty of water, are in good sun, but I've had dozens and dozens of blooms fall off like this.

The "Roma" turned out to be a cherry or grape tomato btw and is going like gangbusters. Fruit all over it.

[​IMG]

What do I need to do to stop this?

2. Could be the heat wave we have had recently. Also could be to close to that light colored building which reflects heat.

3. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    The heirlooms are a little more temperamental than the hybrids. Hard to tell on my phone, but are the leaves curling up a little? If so, that's a sign of to much water. That can stress one to the point of bloom drop. There is a bloom set spray you can get that will make them set fruit but it reduces yield and fruit size

4. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    The leaves are ever so slightly turned up on the heirloom, but not on the grape. I'll try cutting back the watering and see what happens. I've been drowning them twice a day for a while now.

5. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Bet that helps. Even in the dry summer, I rarely water mine more than two times a week, ground level, soaker hose works great. If you spray the leaves you can spread blight

6. Rat

Rat 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    While I'm no expert I would say that watering that much will not be good for the heirloom once it starts to fruit. Too much, or too little water can cause the blossom end rot once the tomatoes start to grow. The roots are not able to take up the calcium in the soil if it is too dry or too wet. I like to water once a day as long as we have not had a good rain in a few days. If we get a good soaking rain, I may go another 2 or 3 days before I water again. Also be careful if you spray fertilizer. If you get it on the leaves or blossoms it can burn them in the heat. I fertilize my plants using a large plastic cup and pouring around the base of them. And I only do this about once a week tops.

The heat could also be causing the blossoms to brown up like that. Heirlooms taste great but sure are more difficult to grow. Two that I've had success with here in Northern KY are Stupice, and German "Johnson" Pink. The stupice produce fruit before any other variety in 42 days, and the German pinks have a flavor similar to Brandywine but produce more fruit faster IMO.

Have fun with the garden! My kids enjoy mine with me.

Rat

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Thats why they made hybrids. Both plants are growing under the same conditions, but the heirloom is having issues. That points to the variety and not so much the conditions.

8. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    Your leaf damage is caused by blight. Only way to control is to spray with blight medicine regularly.Several different brands-get 1 that helps control tomato blights.Once blight hits a plant it is hard to control the damage.Weekly spraying from time plant is set till end of season is best way to control blight.The spores are present in your ground and will be a constant threat every year.Or look for blight resistant plants.Apply calcium nitrate around tomato plants to stop blossom rot and fruit rot.Your soil is low in calcium.Calcium Nitrate will need to be applied regularly around plant ,especially while it is producing fruit. We have to deal with this every year.Hot,humid weather like we have been seeing,causes blight to explode if not kept in check.

9. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    So the blight or calcium is causing the flowers to fall off?

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    It's a nitrogen deficiency. Just urinate at the base of the plant a couple times a day. That should do the trick.

11. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Neither. I don't see any blight on your pics, it shows up as yellow leaves and brown spots. The calcium problem won't show up till the fruit is set and manifest as rotten spots on the bottom of the maters. Back off the water and I bet they set fruit

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I think its the heat...some heirlooms, as well as some hybrids don't set fruit well in temps above the mid 80's. Like killinmammals said, the reflected heat may be compounding the heat issue too.

13. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Several things could be wrong. to much water, radiant heat from the house and lack of nutrients.

also, I'd put some much down to keep moisture in and weeds out. i'm sure it will fix itself after
    the watering slows.

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I actually keep my plants wet enough to make a mud ball at all times after blooming and fruit set begins. High nutrient levels, and constant moisture make huge loads of fruit...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

15. Rat

Rat 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    What kind of maters are those Barney? I would love to have plants that full of fruit. I think I remember you saying that you use some kind of cover over the row to plant extra early?