In a pickle. Some ADVICE PLEASE!

Ares

Fawn
Sep 15, 2010
Nationwide
When I say I'm in a pickle, I mean I'm in a decision pickle. And the decision pickle is the purchase of several new firearms. My list of firearms by the end of the year consist of a XD 4" Service .40 caliber pistol, which I'm not in a pickle over because I know the XD will be one of my three purchases.

The pickle I'm in is with the set of Remington SPS Tactical in both .308 & .223. I currently have a R700 30-06 but it is my main hunting rifle. But the .308 would not be a hunting rifle, but rather a shoot every now and then long range weapon at maybe some yotes or something. The .223 is the same way. I would shoot it at yotes and some long range from time-to-time. I don't know why I need a .308 but I just want one just as the same as the .223. I would more than likely shoot the .223 more than the .308.

Than there is the part of me wanting to try the AR-15. But again, I don't know what I would do with it because I like shooting one shot at a time and not constant shooting. I don't know. I may make my mind up some time or the other.

Ares

Fawn
Sep 15, 2010
Nationwide
No problem man, buy em all!

I'm about to the point of saying your right. But I don't know about the heavy barrel .223. I have been looking at the Stevens 200, which is nothing more than an accurate, free floated sporter barreled Savage with a gray stock and different lettering for the name. It' not like I'm going to be shooting shot after shot with the .223 so I don't know if there is a need for it having a target barrel. It would be a main yote gun and maybe, just maybe, if I can get my wife to hunt, she would be able to shoot it also. As for the .308, I like to shoot long range every now and then with my father-in-law and that is about the work load the .308 would see. It's just a good looking piece with the 20 inch target barrel and be a pleasure to shoot from what I've read. I know where there is a Remington 700 VTR in .223 for a great price, but I hate the octagon barrel on those weapons and from what I can gather, they are not as accurate as other Remmys in the SPS lineup.

The XD .40 is a definite as I already have a couple other XD's. Just not a sub-compact. The AR, I'm leaning away from because as I said, I don't know what I would do with it except the occasional shooting. I have been looking at the match grade AR platform rifle with target barrels. That could be a possibility and still be used as a semi-auto, tack driving yote gun. I don't know. Like I said, I'm in a pickle. Haha.

Last edited:

killinmammals

12 pointer
Nov 6, 2005
In a VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
VTRs are pretty accurate when you find that right round. I've seen some shooters, but those SPS tacticals are NICE. Get the SPS because like you said, that octagonal barrel is ugly and we can't own ugly rifles now can we! XD, you already got that figured out. Oh, and as for the SPS..get 308 and 223, then you won't look back and wish you had gotten one or the other. Nobody likes living with regrets. And heck, just build an AR...I will warn you. Its not cheap(mainly because its addicting) I started with one...and now have a few..and plenty of parts to build a few more

Ares

Fawn
Sep 15, 2010
Nationwide
Why not a heavy barrel AR15. I have a Rock River Coyote that is way more accurate than I am. Why not a heavy barrel I really like it.

That may be an option also. I've been looking at the Double Star and Bush Master target type AR's. Don't know just yet though. I'm still pondering my next move. ;)

TRAILMASTER

8 pointer
Feb 12, 2004
Nelson, Co.
Going to make it harder on you buy a .204 cal. It would do the job of the .308 and the .223 then you can get the xd and the AR-15 and then something else.

Quickdraw Limpsalot

12 pointer
Sep 16, 2005
Larue Co.
As far as shooting targets yes it will.

As far as shooting coyotes yes it will.

Wheres the problem

In my personal experience... not quite. Put the groups from the .204's I've shot next to the groups I've shot with .308's and .223's and there really isn't much of a comparison. .204 has been the poorest performer accuracy-wise of the three (again... personal experience and multiple firearms using each cartridge.)

To the OP,
I'd wholeheartedly endorse the SPS Tactical in .308. I currently have one that shot sub-MOA out of the box. I'm hoping for half inch groups at 100 yards after a bedding job and some stock work.

Conn

Spike
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Ky
The pickle I'm in is with the set of Remington SPS Tactical in both .308 & .223. I currently have a R700 30-06 but it is my main hunting rifle. But the .308 would not be a hunting rifle, but rather a shoot every now and then long range weapon at maybe some yotes or something. The .223 is the same way. I would shoot it at yotes and some long range from time-to-time. I don't know why I need a .308 but I just want one just as the same as the .223. I would more than likely shoot the .223 more than the .308.

Than there is the part of me wanting to try the AR-15. But again, I don't know what I would do with it because I like shooting one shot at a time and not constant shooting. I don't know. I may make my mind up some time or the other.

I feel your pain. I've been battling with this over the past week myself.

I know I want an AR.

If I got a 223, I'd at least like a 20" heavy barreled gun, and I'm not much on the collapsible stocks.

Good ammunition for the 223 is just as expensive as mediocre 308 ammunition from what I've seen.

The flattoped AR-10 I want is around 1500 bones. The flattoped AR-15 I want is around 880.

Or I could buy TWO 16" Doublestar AR15s for the price of one AR-10!

I've often told myself that there are two things a man just can't have too much of. Land and guns. :)

I'd like to think the 223 is a little light in the loafers, but definately do-able.

Latest posts