Import from Canada.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by predator1, Jan 14, 2021.

1. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Anyone ever imported ammo or firearms from Canada? Curious about cost and headaches?

2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Through Mail? We tried to bring some .22 and .22mag back from Canada one year when it was hard to find. We bought like 8 100 rd boxes at a gas station in Canada on way home. Got to border and US Border Patrol pulled me into the little room and told me I could take back, give it to a canadian, or go to jail for smuggling ammunition. I pressed em a little bit about it and said smuggling? I have the purchase receipt. Apparently we can't buy it and bring it, even though I've bought steel shot there cause I ran out and brought it back! Anyhow we gave it to the pretty lady at the Canadian Border station and re-crossed no issues. Crazy. Don't know how it would work thru mail.

3. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Yep mail. That’s what I’m afraid of. I’m sure it can be done, but at what expense.

4. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Shipping with mail to or from Canada , you have to fill out a customs sheet and list the package contents and value.
    Customs will review the contents and take the package a part to inspect.

hunt likes this.
  5. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I would google Canadian export rules.
    As long as it goes through customs and properly marked.
    If Legal????

6. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    IF it is legal and you follow the book besides the cost of the ammo and shipping you WILL have to pay customs fees. How much, I don't know. But I had to pay the customs fees on my watch when coming back from Europe. I think that is 6.5% or 7%. You need to call customs.

7. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    They'll screw you. I had issues sending arrows for God's sake. F Canada.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    How'd ya get screwed? Countries have import/export laws.

9. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Don't do it.
    If you don't declare it, they probably find it and lose it.
    I have received 3 packages from an Ebay Canadian lately. (Swore I would never order anything from Canada after a bad experience w customs 15 years ago).
    These last ones weren't Too bad, but they took one package apart and wrecked the packing. Got one today I was worried about since the whole Damcountry there is shut down.

00noturkey likes this.
  10. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    No laws were broken,had done it before,sent arrows to a friend. This particular time,they sat at customs for an extended time and when they reached their destination,the packing tube had been opened,emptied,taped back shut and sent to the original destination.

I guess someone at customs liked that kind.

It could have obviously happened before it hit the border,but I'd bet against it.

11. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    From the best I understand. To bring it thru a broker, I’m looking at $150 for the first line item, then $75 for each additional line item. Plus, 2% of total value. By the time I do that. I’d be just as well off paying the ignorant prices we’re seeing here. I saw 20rd boxes of FMJ 5.56 selling for $40 a box the other day. They were selling them left and right. Almost got me thinking I’d be better off selling out now while people have lost their minds. Man might be able to retire early. Lol

12. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Got Netflix?

Watch a couple of shows of Border Security. It shows how they go through imports and not just at the airports but border crossing. Of course, they ARE going to send it through X-ray, bomb dogs who WILL smell gunpowder and other stuff. Once they see something they don't like they WILL bust it open until they find what they are looking for. If it ammo a dog WILL find it and if it does not say it's ammo with all required stickers on it they WILL be knocking on the senders and YOUR doors asking questions.

Good show by the way.

13. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Pretty soon there will be Mexican mules carrying in 223 on there backs like the drugs they smuggle in!
    It will be a very lucrative business in the coming yrs I suspect.

00noturkey and baknblack like this.
  14. raidergson

raidergson 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    You can always get on the rimfire central forum.... I think it is Canadian based, and has quite a fan club of folks from here, Canada, the UK, and Australia. I think others were asking the same question in the recent past.... just some advise....say nothing political, because after one warning, they can the thread.

15. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Don't even think about doing anything questionable through the mail these days.....unless you're smuggling 50 thousand Democrat votes in a box.

bondhu, riverboss, 00noturkey and 5 others like this.