I'm wanting a CVA Scout pistol but need recommendations.

hunter15270

Spike
Mar 7, 2016
I am wanting to get a CVA Scout pistol for deer hunting but I want it in a caliber that is pretty mild in recoil . I know that everyone's level of comfortable recoil is different , at one time I had a T/C Encore in .308 Win and I could shoot it but I have to admit that it was not a lot of fun . I currently have a T/C Contender in .35 Rem and it is a lot more pleasurable to shoot than the .308 Win was . I have been wanting a CVA Scout pistol in perhaps 6.5 Grendel or .300 Blackout but would really appreciate any Intel to help me decide . My shots will be 200 yards and probably much less . What can you tell me about the recoil of any suggested cartridge from a pistol ?
Thank you all so much in advance.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
CVA Scout in 350 Legend would be my pick, personally. That cartridge performs great out of short barrels, ammo is plentiful and recoil is on par with 7.62x39 which is a powder puff.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I am wanting to get a CVA Scout pistol for deer hunting but I want it in a caliber that is pretty mild in recoil . I know that everyone's level of comfortable recoil is different , at one time I had a T/C Encore in .308 Win and I could shoot it but I have to admit that it was not a lot of fun . I currently have a T/C Contender in .35 Rem and it is a lot more pleasurable to shoot than the .308 Win was . I have been wanting a CVA Scout pistol in perhaps 6.5 Grendel or .300 Blackout but would really appreciate any Intel to help me decide . My shots will be 200 yards and probably much less . What can you tell me about the recoil of any suggested cartridge from a pistol ?
Thank you all so much in advance.
Both of those calibers, out of a pistol, will have a rainbow trajectory and not packing much energy at 200. I have both in rifles. For clean kills out of a pistol, I'd limit myself to 100. Check ballistic charts for energy in regards to your application.

hunter15270

Spike
Mar 7, 2016
I appreciate the response . What cartridge would be your recommendation for the cva pistol ? I honestly doubt that I will become proficient enough to use a handgun at two hundred yards but was suggesting the absolute farthest distance that would be conceivable.

hunter15270

Spike
Mar 7, 2016
Buds shows they make it in 6.5 grendel that's the one I would want it would make a great deer and varmit gun!
That kind of what I was leaning towards but I've never used a 6.5 Grendel and I don't know if it would have the ability to take a nice size whitetail , especially from a 14 in pistol ?

hunter15270

Spike
Mar 7, 2016
Yes , I would love it if they made them in 6.8 spc . I have often thought about buying a 6.8 spc barrel for my T/C contender but for the price of a quality barrel I can buy a complete CVA pistol .

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
95 or 90 gr vmax for varmits and 125 or heavier for deer in the grendel, it has basically the same volume of powder as the 6.8 I killed 2 doe last yr with a 18in 6.8 and 90 gr gold dots at 100 yrds shot one broadside both lungs went 30 yrds the other one straight in the front of the shoulder went 50 and I shot it again broke the should up good.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
The CVA pistol is offered in 243 Win , 6.5 Grendel , 6.5 CM , 300 Blackout and if I'm not mistaken it's also offered in the 350 Legend.
I would guess the 243 would be a handful. Ammo is not real easy to find, more showing up recently, but grendel ammo is nonexistent. I lucked into some Hornady 123 gr few weeks back at RK. All I've seen this year.