I'm depressed

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, May 6, 2018.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    another season has come and gone. My favorite time of year; hunting turkey and mushrooms. Sad to see it go. Spent some fun days with my dad and son. My son didn't get a turkey this round but I can see a big difference in him from last yr. he's 9 and he's a lot more mobile in the woods and what I mean by that is he didn't get hung in briars and fall a lot lol. By next year I think he will be full blown mobile and won't have to use a blind as much. My dad is getting old but can still hoof it up and down these hills. We managed to get 4 turkey and close to 200 mushrooms. It's bittersweet tho knowing these good times won't last forever. My daughter is 16 and growing up. We struggle financially but make ends meet. I mean we are not starving but it's hard. Sorry for the rant but guys I'm depressed. But for one week (first week of turkey season), I left a lot of worries at home and had an enjoyable 2018 spring. Thank GOD for another blessing.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Nock, xbokilla, Recurve77 and 3 others like this.
  2. NEVENUFFHP

NEVENUFFHP 6 pointer

Aug 9, 2002
    .Cecilia ky
    End of Turkey Season is Always a Letdown for Me Too, I just thank God for Health to get to go.

3. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    It’s a bummer, it’s always been special time of year for me, but had a decent year got 1 and heard and had chances at a few more, nothing beats a magic spring morning though

Recurve77 and mudhole crossing like this.
  4. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I took my daughter one evening and had a hen fly up in a tree and started yelping and purring at us, I guess she saw the coloring book on the log we were setting by and got nervous lol, that’ll always be a memory, hard to get kids in the woods much less see something happening, hopefully I can keep her interested in the woods

5. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I hate it when it's over, sure it's frustrating at times, it's tiring, and it's incredibly exciting. There's so much that makes it uniquely special. I sat last week and had one of this moments where it was perfect right as the sun started up. The darkness yielded to songbirds calling as the woods started to get light, it was a perfect spring moment in the woods.

At times during the season I take for granted how cool it is to watch the woods go from winter to green up. The Paulownia blooming with their sweet smell late and the autumn olive smell early.

For me it's not so much the kill anymore it's the game and the awesomeness of those first gobbles each morning, or the bird that hammers a call late morning. If it was just about filling tags I'd miss so much that makes turkey hunting and spring fantastic.

I feel sorry for all who miss this wonderful world, but in some ways glad more don't play it as that would make it far too crowded

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Hunt with pop all you can. Dad's 82, and we haven't missed an opening morning since we started hunting in '89 or so. Opening morning is my favorite hunt of the year. Very blessed to still get to hunt with him, and pray we get to do it again next year.

7. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    It's always a bittersweet moment. I had a successful season ,started out with the grandson and he got one the first day of youth season ,but we couldn't finish it out for him. I did tag out fairly quick ,but my son had all kinds of bad luck dogs, coyotes and bad weather when he was able to hunt.It has been a long time since he hasn't at least got one . If my health will hold up I plan on being out there again next year with the grandson and son doing it all over again !!

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Keep on! Dad didn't kill a bird 3 years ago. That's the only year since we started that he hadn't killed at least one.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  9. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Turkey season has and always will be my favorite time of year. Was a rough year and i got to eat a tag. But i enjoyed every minute of it and thank the lord for every sunrise he gave me to hunt them this spring. Besides family and god theres no bigger blessing then spring in Kentucky to me.
    Guess its time to hunt tree rats and deer untill April comes back around. I cant stay out if the woods for very long. Even though turkey hunting is by far my favorite.

10. NEVENUFFHP

NEVENUFFHP 6 pointer

Aug 9, 2002
    .Cecilia ky
    Ditto on My Favorite!

11. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    Be blessed you have your kiddo and pop to hunt with. That's what makes it special. I've been bedside with my dad in his last days of Alzheimer's. He was my favorite hunting partner. My son is in his teenage years and being w his friends have become more important.
    I made it a few mornings out reflecting on what used to be. I guess I'm depressed too

12. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    First year since I started hunting turkey huntin 20yrs ago that I haven't killed a bird. Helped some OOS buddies get on birds tho so it wasn't a complete bust. My mushroom spots didn't produce squat which was the most depressing. I think the weather played a major role in that. Should of burned more boot leather I guess.

13. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    My mushroom spots didnt produce much either. Found about a hundred early but i normally find 4 or 5 hundred. I put in way too much boot time just to kill 1 bird and a few shrooms. Had i not put in boot time i wouldnt have killed the one i did. I havent got on a scale but im guessing i lost atleast 10 pounds and didnt miss to many meals. I have found over the years when turkey hunting is slow all you can do is stay mobile and try to come across a hot bird. My muck boots will have to be retired before next yr. They got some miles on them but have been good boots. Best rubber turkey hunting boot i have ever owned. Too bad the owners are a bunch of crazy ladies. Ha

14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Enjoy the time you have in the woods. This year was the first time Dad has been hunting since his stroke a few years back. He killed a Jake the first day we went. Then we had a goose egg day. And then stayed in birds all day yesterday, but we just couldn’t seal the deal. We had a successful season.

Just getting him back out was a chore. But he hung in there with me yesterday. I was surprised. We were walkin’ and gunnin’. Lol. And then it came up a damn thunderstorm and he just put his Indiana Jones hat on and settled in. I thought to myself it’s going to be a long day:)

But we both a good time.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Munson and mudhole crossing like this.
  15. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I'm a little depressed it's over too. I will say that it does help seeing this thread and knowing that there are a few fellow turkey hunters that share my sentiment on the true enjoyment of spring turkey season. It's time to get back to the grind of everyday life. Time to work on improving the places I hunt, time to reflect on seasons past and time to dream of seasons to come. God willing, we'll all be out there next year enjoying all the wonders of another spring season.