Im curious

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by kydirtdog44, Feb 10, 2012.

1. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    just taking a poll, if u hacve a pupwhen do u guys start hunting it , how hard, and at what age do u think it should be running and treeing, by treeing i dont mean making a few barks and getting downand running or milling around im mean TREEING, here is my opinion, i try to start mine around 5 mths old(depending on the physical state of the pup) i try not to show it to many caged or turn loose coons, my opinion is if its in them it will come out , a tree dog is born not made. if its not running and treeing with the old dog by age 6 or 7 mths its time to find a new zip code . and once i get one going itgoes to the timber BY IT SELF regardless of who im hunting with they can turn thiers loose the i will turn mine loose. it teaches them to hunt when another dog is present, and you can teach yours and others to keep that jaw shut in the box (MAN I HATE ON THAT WONT BE QUITE IN THE BOX. i dont believe u can beat or shock one to make it hunt, but u can make them hide out all nite. hope i havent offended anyone that was not my goal but think a dog this day and age should be well on its way to being what its going to be by a yr old if not time for a change (AT LEAST FOR ME )time is to valuble to lose sleep and money , and wait till its 15 mths or 2 yrs to start

2. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    Ill agree with ya to a certain extent but I think alot people including you expect way to much out of a pup.They have been alot of good pups ruined by pushing them to hard.I think a pup should be acting pretty good by the age of 10 months old and I never start a pup with an (old dog).Mine do it by themselves or they take a dirt nap.I've had several dogs start treeing really early at a young age around 4 or months old but didn't finish out as nice as my other dogs that started around 7 or 8 months old,my dogs that started at 7 or 8 months old were track dogs first then the tree came a month or 2 later,those pups seemed to always be way more accurate than my early age tree minded pups.Thats just my experience with pups but different blood lines will vary with different results.Everybody has their own way and beliefs of doing it I just like mine better lol

3. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    i agree with cuckler other than i hunt my pups at 4 to 5 months old with an old dog and wean them off to hunting alone by 6 months or so. The line im hunting are very track minded and alot of times it takes a little extra time for them to put the tree to it. But the accuracy is well worth it

4. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    i agree i hunt every thing i have alone, i just think todays hound are much more likely to start at a younger age , i think if one is not running and treeing by the time its 6 to 7 mths old it nneds a new home. but like cuckler said not every body is the same .bottom line by the age of 1yr old they should be doing it all by them selves