Illinois DIY bowhunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 4UK, Jul 6, 2014.

1. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Looking for some information on public land hunting in Illinois in a decent county for trophy buck. Can not afford 3000$ for hunt , have been wanting to hunt illinois for a while now just trying to see if anyone has been or has any knowledge of where to start , for a decent do it yourself hunt? Thanks

2. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Isn't Illinois a draw state?

3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Not for the bow tag, you can go up there and buy them OTC, same thing w/ left over ML tags, shotgun tags have to be applied for but they are a pretty much guarantee draw, just have to know which county you'll be huntin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    $456 archery tag last time I hunted there. Lake Shelbyville is good and so is the Edgar public land, although I think it is a quota for certain times of yr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    I don't know where you plan on hunting in Illinois but I have been spending a lot of time in Southern Illinois lately and there are deer everywhere. I plan on checking out Rend Lake area. I will let you know what I find out.

6. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Grew up there, shot some good archery deer there. If I was to go now for a DIY public land hunt I would head over to Jim Edgar/panther creek. About 16,000 acres and still has lots of BIG deer. It does get a lot of pressure, since it is not to far west of Springfield. If you go, remember to mind your Ps and Qs, as many of the ILDNR are real sticklers. Also, remember to read up on gun laws before you go it definitely isn't KY.

The terrain is mixed field and deep wooded draws. Lots of turkey over there also.

7. buckfever2

buckfever2 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2009
    Southern Illinois has some great deer. I've been hunting it the last 4 years. Check out Union County, it has some pretty good public land.

8. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Thanks guys for all the input , look forward to hearing more