If you like big smallies

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
Where in kentucky are you still catching 7# smallmouth?
They were in Tennessee and the last one was four years ago. We had several nice overs on Dale this year but over all it was poor fishing for the big boys. The tourney boys and the youtubers have really put the pressure on that lake, hopefully it survives the beat down. Dale still has giants in it, but they don't hang out with the freshman 5 pounders.

I’m hoping CRFmxracer will tell us more about his thoughts on the future of Kentucky Lake. Pickwick is the smallmouth capital in the US I reckon and from what I read below Wilson Dam is the spot. If we can get it going on smallmouth again I’d be ready to start night fishing again.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
I’m hoping CRFmxracer will tell us more about his thoughts on the future of Kentucky Lake. Pickwick is the smallmouth capital in the US I reckon and from what I read below Wilson Dam is the spot. If we can get it going on smallmouth again I’d be ready to start night fishing again.
I think the Great Lakes fisheries and other northern fisheries have over taken the south as far as Smallmouth go. Gobies are like straight protein shots for Smallmouth.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
Very basic. One of these on a basic 1/4 oz jig head with a good hook. Cast, count down to depth, and slow wind. Spinning rod with a soft tip and good backbone. We caught a ton on those 5" grubs back then. It was a great lure. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/kalins-lunker-grubs?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas|Shopping|Smart|Fishing|General|NAud|TopPerf|NMT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5e2kjYbC-AIVdg2tBh0imw4jEAQYASABEgLdTfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit, in early Spring, when fish were moving shallow, we'd rig those Texas style with a 1/16 ounce bait and fish in cover/docks. Caught a lot of big bass that way. My buddy got a 8+ on Barkley in Hobson Bay on one in a tournament with me.
What colors do you like BG?

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Last 6+lb bronze side I saw was pulled off the river on rocks with a deep diving crankbait. My fishing partner got big fish that tourney with a smally.

They are on the decline for certain though.

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
I think the Great Lakes fisheries and other northern fisheries have over taken the south as far as Smallmouth go. Gobies are like straight protein shots for Smallmouth.
Number are overwhelmingly better in the north. Quality, I believe, has also caught up. Threadfin shad used to be the game changer but gobies evened the playing field in that aspect. St. Claire is a mad house and 60-80 fish per day is not uncommon at all. I have caught those number in the south but it's way more hit and miss. If not for the shorter growing season in the northern waters we would be seeing even more giants being caught. They are IMO the most fun of all fresh water game fish. We generally fish with 4-6# line and just have an absolute blast. We loose some like that but who cares really it's all in fun and sport. Anyone can winch them in.

CRFmxracer

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2010
louisville kentucky
You think so? Interested to hear your thoughts on why.
The carp don’t affect the smallmouth like they do the largemouth. The carp stay shallower(like largemouth) smallmouth are more nomadic. Used to be on kentucky lake if you caught a smallmouth it was a bonus. Now it’s almost 50/50. Look at a lot of tournament pictures there’s been a lot of all smallmouth bags weighed in the last 2 years or so. I know a guy who only fishes north Barkley and last year caught one nearly 7.5lbs and routinely catches 20-30 fish a day majority being smallmouth.

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
Number are overwhelmingly better in the north. Quality, I believe, has also caught up. Threadfin shad used to be the game changer but gobies evened the playing field in that aspect. St. Claire is a mad house and 60-80 fish per day is not uncommon at all. I have caught those number in the south but it's way more hit and miss. If not for the shorter growing season in the northern waters we would be seeing even more giants being caught. They are IMO the most fun of all fresh water game fish. We generally fish with 4-6# line and just have an absolute blast. We loose some like that but who cares really it's all in fun and sport. Anyone can winch them in.
Hook a 3 to 4 pound small mouth on 4 lb line with a 10 foot crappie rod.
It is a blast

Latest posts