If you had to restart your career???

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, Jan 27, 2020.

1. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    High School basketball coach somewhere in rural Kentucky.

drakeshooter likes this.
  2. savagehunter

savagehunter Spike

May 28, 2019
    glasgow ky
    game warden just so I could be in the outdoors.

drakeshooter and xbokilla like this.
  3. BikerTrash22

BikerTrash22 Spike

Nov 18, 2015
    I've wanted to run a biker bar for some time. I love the smokey (non smoker) redneck bar scene, pool tables, dart boards, local bands, cold beer, and lots of bikes. If my kids ever take over my business, I just might try it!

drakeshooter and xbokilla like this.
  4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Horse fluffer. Or maybe just a bull milker.

But probably something IT related. Relatively easy work for a lot of pay.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Ky fish and wildlife are always looking for GW's. Just be ready to go on food stamps, the pay sucks. Not long ago they were asking for people to take the test on the DF&W state website.
    Looks like they got enough for now but may want to check this link out.

Career in Law Enforcement

We are not accepting applications at this time, but if you would like to be notified about future hiring opportunities, please click on the following link FW-LErecruiting@ky.gov. Be sure to include your full name, a valid phone number and a valid email address.

I would look into the medical field, always jobs near anyplace you want to live.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    Living in eastern KY I wouldn't have changed. Started working at a Taco Bell when I was 17 inside of a c-store. Worked my way up the ladder, done a little bit of everything for them in the C-store business. Left them after 17.5 years and started my own group of stores. I have 4 now. Only thing I would have changed is when my best friend left the company to start his own chain of stores I would have left with him.

Will never forget telling my wife the plans when I decided to leave. She said what if it doesn't make it, I said what if it does. We have been poor all of our lives all be can do is still be poor.

7. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
  8. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Fish and wildlife

xbokilla likes this.
  9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I would of moved out west and became a hunting guide.

drakeshooter, Munson and xbokilla like this.
  10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ve been thinking about this a lot here of late considering my son is now in college and in 3 - 5 years the main reason for me working in the oilfield will be over, I’m trying to decide wether to stay in the patch for another 18-20 years, buy a little 40-50ft sportfisherman go back charter and commercial fishing, or sincerely learn my dads business and come off the water. Coming off the water is a scary thought considering for the past 20+ years I’ve spent a minimum of 260 days per year on a boat and most years it’s been better than 300 days per year.
    Only thing I have figured out for sure is 1) After my son graduates I’m going to take some time off to re-evaluate

Southpaw, Nock, 1wildcatfan and 3 others like this.
  11. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I would have moved to Alaska and lived off the land.

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I would have enlisted instead of college.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    You would have had to be a teacher too or have another job. I did it for 20 years. It won’t pay the bills or put food on the table.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  14. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm doing my level best to restart things. I'm retired from my former gig and have almost completed a PSM (Professional Science Master's - like the MBA of the science world) degree. My current resume includes 20 years of law enforcement, a B.S. in fisheries and wildlife science, along with a graduate certificate in wildlife management. My research interests are waterfowl ecology and biology, and I have a great opportunity at the end of the month to make my name known in the field - as long as I don't step on my pecker, lol.

We moved to west Tennessee and I'm in the process of beginning another research project that will directly benefit my career goals, along with giving the state waterfowl manager some data he wants. So....we'll see how it goes.

davers and xbokilla like this.
  15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    One thing I would do over is serve in some way. Probably not a military career but maybe enlist in the National Guard or something.

riverboss likes this.