If you had to choose..

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by MCW, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Eyeshot

Eyeshot Fawn

Aug 24, 2016
    Tomorrow is supposed to be a dark moon as well. Ill be out in the stand hoping that they're browsing in first light due to the new moon.

2. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    I like the first week of November. My favorite day to hunt is Halloween. It's like the best day ever and I generally see a lot of deer on Halloween. Bucks are pre-rutting and sparring. It's a really fun time. We as deer hunters think of these days all year long. It's just pure awesome.

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I've posted this on here before. I read an article that calculated the best dates to kill a B&C buck. November 11th has the most book bucks recorded. The best day in October was the 31st.

4. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    The 31st of October and November 3rd have always been good based on my trail camera pictures and looking in my back yard (I can never seem to hunt those days though). In terms of hunting, opening day of rifle season and the November 20-23 have been good to me.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I've seen you post this before. I've always wondered if more people take off and are in the woods those days with them being Halloween and Veterans Day? Additionally, I remember seeing once that over half of the BC record book bucks were killed between 10am and 1pm. Half? Now that's a lot.

6. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    If I killed a b&c buck I'd tell a bogus time, place, and everything else as to not give any tips of where when and how haha

7. kriggs

kriggs 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2016
    First week of Nov for me. In fact my vacation this year is Nov 7-16 so I get both bow and gun during prime time.

8. spanky116

spanky116 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2005
    Garrad County, KY
    I'd pick November. I used to take off a few days after the first weekend of gun season but for the past couple of years I've been taking off the weekend before. I like to do that so I can put out my decoy and see if I can get one cruising around. I save some vacation days and make it a long weekend.

9. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Days I save vacation for is the week before gun and first week of gun. Been doing that for years. My favorite of the two weeks I take is week before archery hunting. I've taken several nice bucks that week and see more bucks normally that week.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I think it's more dependent on the peak of the rut. October 31st just happens to be the closest October day to the rut. Seems like the best December day was like 1st or the 2nd.
    Every year the second week of November is going to see the most car/deer accidents. In fact, November's rate of deer collisions is 3 times higher than any other month.

11. BuckReaper

BuckReaper Spike

Jul 31, 2016
    Central KY
    November 12-17 for sure.

12. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky

13. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Thats a tough one but for me I would choose Oct 24-29 this year based on moon being in the darker phases those dates. I feel deer move more in daylight when the moon is dark. Thats been my experience anyway. Giving weather and temps cooperate. Good Luck ...