If you don't understand, you need to figure it out

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by keith meador, Feb 8, 2020.

1. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Years ago, I shot the biggest deer I'd ever seen in the wild. I was hunting on LBL. I had walked in blind, before daylight, and simply climbed up. I had looked at a topo map and aerial photos of an area that seemed like it may be a travel corridor for a cruising buck. It was late October. The daytime temperatures were in the low 50's, with night time lows in the upper 30's. I missed my mark when I walked in. I needed to be 20-25 yards to the east of the tree that I had climbed. As daylight broke, I realized the shot I had anticipated was closer to 50 yards. I should have climbed down, and moved closer.
    I started seeing deer around 815. A few does had filtered through, and headed to the pine trees to the east. I was in the wrong tree. I still stayed put.
    At 850, I saw a buck walking toward the creek crossing that the does had used. For whatever reason, he turned, and started working up that draw. He's going to pass me at 40 yards. I can make that shot. It's going to go down. As he picked his way up the draw, the jitters set in, and then subsided. At 55 yards, I had mentally solidified my plan. He's going to be on this side of the creek, and on this side of the log. A quick click with the range finder tells me he'll be at 40. That was my best opportunity to kill him.
    At the shot, the lighted nock illuminated. It looked like a laser as it went down range. The emotions were instant. I am going to kill the biggest deer of my life. Impact. It was noticeably loud. I hit, within an inch, of where I was aiming. Thousands of arrows had been shot through that bow. I'd won several 3D tournaments with that bow. It had paid for itself several times over. All of the great days I'd had on the 3D range were paying off in huge dividends with that single shot.
    After the impact, the deer wheeled away, turned 180, and headed back the way he'd came. I was in complete disbelief. The arrow was angled back into the guts. Impossible. No way. That arrow hit the deer, broadside. He wheeled away at the impact. If anything, the arrow should be angled forward.
    I lost that deer. Myself, and 3 others went after the deer after a 3 hour wait. He never bedded down, and covered approximately 1,200 yards before we lost blood. I had just experienced my second deer lost to a mechanical broadhead.

2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Sry for your loss. Was it the same brand mechanical in both cases? What fixed blade are you currently using?

3. keith meador

We've all done it. Lost deer, for whatever reason, with archery equipment. Hours on the practice range. Hours tinkering and tuning equipment. Hours making the bow right. And still, we miss our mark. Over the years, experience helps us make decisions. We know when the shot isn't right. I've learned to deal with that. What I couldn't overcome was doing everything right, and still failing. I absolutely hate wounding an animal. My goal is to put them down within sight of the stand if at all possible. I went back to cut on contact broadheads, and haven't looked back. I'll admit, I am ad advocate for fixed blade heads. I've spent hundreds of hours reading, learning, testing... If you have the time, watch this video, and check out this guy on youtube. He's gone way beyond what I have as far as shaft weights and broadhead choices.

4. keith meador

The first deer I lost to a Spitfire. That deer was shot at 13 yards, broadside. The second, a rage.
    I am currently shooting Slick Tricks. I narrowed my choices to two heads. G-5 Strikers, and the Slick Tricks. Out of the package, those seemed to be the sharpest that I had found. The slick tricks were by far, the easiest to tune.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  5. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Not sure what prompted you to start this thread but I agree. I've never been a fan of further complicating a given function.
    I've personally seen a perfect shot on a doe with a mechanical broadhead. She didn't go far, maybe 50 yards. Problem is I walked up to her and only saw a round, what looked like a practice head, exit hole through the heart. Walked back to find the arrow of the archer and found a broadhead that never unfolded. That did it for me.
    Why complicate a simple function? Why deal with collars and other crap associated with mechanicals. I always have more than I want to deal with anyway.

6. keith meador

I was in the garage setting up some spider rigging poles for crappie fishing. I found a Tekan broadhead on the bench, and tossed it. That prompted thoughts of missed opportunities and lost deer over the years. Later that evening, I was beating around on youtube, and saw the ranch fairy videos. He does a very good job of breaking down heavy arrows with high FOC. I particularly like his pet name for mechanicals...flappers... This morning, I caught myself watching the video I posted above, and that prompted the post.
    Years ago, I was on the local archery range, and caught myself laughing at another archer. He was struggling. Horribly. I watched that guy sling arrows all over the 20 yard bag. He wasn't frustrated. He seemed unaffected by his consistent failure. I realized that he didn't know just how bad it was. That guy literally could not put 3 of 5 arrows in a 3 inch spot at 20 yards. I stepped up on the line at the 30 yard bag, and sent 5 arrows down range. I wasn't satisfied with my group. All 5 arrows were low in the spot. Realistically, 1/2 inch low of where I thought they should be. Something that comes easy for me, seemed impossible for that guy. I noticed that he was watching me shoot. I shot one more round of 5, and he walked to the target with me. He said "man, I wish I could do that"...and that statement started a conversation between us that started a friendship.
    When I walked back to the line, I removed my quiver, and laid it on the bench next to my bow. I told him to grab and arrow, and get on the line. I helped him learn to shoot. I helped him tune his bow. I found that to be very rewarding. I really enjoy helping others learn about archery, and learning to become better shooters.
    I post things on here that probably read like a babbling idiot is typing the words. That may be the case, but maybe it will benefit someone.

Southpaw, Feedman and Carl like this.
  7. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    With speed and distance cut nearly in half (Longbow) I trust nothing but sharp, cut on contact, non mechanical heads. Probably would feel the same if shot compounds though.
    1D26A502-1D7B-46A7-9B41-40ABBFACE506.jpeg

keith meador likes this.
  8. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    I shot muzzy three and 4 blade for many many years. Then I switched to g5 Montec then slick trick standards. I had success with all three also lost deer to all three. My main issue was less than acceptable bloodtrails on good shots. I switched to mechanical this year and killed 4 deer all died within sight all complete pass thrus and unbelievable blood trails nothing is perfect but I will stick with mechanical.