If Gov't shuts down...

zslinker

Spike
Mar 13, 2008
morehead, ky
are you referring to martial law? if so yes because you wouldnt be able to telecheck your kill within 12hrs... i may be wrong though

K9trapper

12 pointer
Dec 7, 2006
I work for the Dept. of the Interior and you are right about the closures. We've been directed that if the gov't shuts its' doors, then all properties that require a permit will be closed for public use. So LBL, and Clarks River NWR would be closed. You'll see an announcement published tomorrow.

limbhanger

8 pointer
Feb 10, 2004
w.ky.
I planned on running by in the morning to pick up my user permit. I'll ask them then. I know 1 kid that will be PO'd if he don't get to go this weekend, and I'll be there Tue/Wed (maybe?)

Semp

10 pointer
Feb 4, 2008
Kaintukee
If they close LBL down, who is going to be around to run a guy off? No one will be working, right?

limbhanger

8 pointer
Feb 10, 2004
w.ky.
Come in by boat and enjoy a pressure free weekend.....in this case I say screw the government. I second semp's motion.

Boat would actually be closer for me to get to my spot. They told me I couldn't do that, unless I wanted to walk a bird in to the check station, it has to be checked before it leaves LBL. I asked how that happens after the Welcome Center is closed. Never really got an answer.

beards-n-bone

10 pointer
Nov 12, 2008
Pulaski Co.
That sounds like typical gov't "logic".....make it as hard and as complicated humanly possible for us to use the resources that WE pay for....
Boat would actually be closer for me to get to my spot. They told me I couldn't do that, unless I wanted to walk a bird in to the check station, it has to be checked before it leaves LBL. I asked how that happens after the Welcome Center is closed. Never really got an answer.

huntr467

12 pointer
Feb 2, 2004
Marion Ky. Crittenden county
If they close LBL down, who is going to be around to run a guy off? No one will be working, right?
thats what I was thinking. its not like they can just close a gate and lock everybody out.
I dont see the sherriffs' donating enough deputies time to patrol the entire LBL. About the only way it would work is if they had road blocks set up.
So heres the real question. If you have been drawn and have all your permits, the government shuts down, and you continue to hunt as planned and get caught are you a poacher? Do you think they will refund the permit fees for those who buy em just for this hunt?

limbhanger

8 pointer
Feb 10, 2004
w.ky.
From what I've heard, Law Enforcement will not stop, just the 'non-essential' services. But...they also said that Nat'l Parks will close. I assume that the roads will still be patrolled, but that's about all. I'll be heading by the North Welcome Station in a few, and will post what I find out later.

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
It's not that hard to block off acess to LBL and they do it regularly when we get large snows or ice. There are only so many ways in.

For all you renegade types.. remember, whatever ticket or charges you get in LBL will be federal..... and they don't give courtesy tickets.

Latest posts