If a guy shoots a deer...

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I wonder how many of those wounded deer are list because hunters started trailing them too quickly an bumped them.

2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I can tell you about a personal experience. Several years ago, I shot a buck during archery season. I hit him a little bit back. He was standing almost broadside. As I shot, he stepped. I knew as soon as the shot broke, things weren't going as planned. The arrow entered forward of the diaphragm, angled forward, and exited about 3 inches forward of the diaphragm on the off side. Angles matter! His reaction, or lack of, to the hit was to be expected. He ran briefly, then started walking. He made it to 60 yards, then laid down. Had I not seen him lay down, or saw the reaction to the shot, I would have gave him 20 minutes and went after him.
    I couldn't get another arrow to him. It was early, and the sun was rising above the ridge. It had been a great morning up to that point. I could see him plainly with binoculars. He was content to stay where he was. Being 60 yards from him, I didn't want to risk making noise with my climber, so I stayed put. I had snacks, and plenty of chew. Around 950, another buck was headed his way on a trail below him. He was bedded about 10 yards up the hill from that trail. The little buck spotted him, and angled toward him. Trouble, I just knew it. The buck laid his ears back, and laid his head flat to the ground. He wanted nothing to do with a confrontation. The little buck moved on. Around 1015, he got up, stretched, and started walking. At that point, I'm questioning everything that I thought I saw when the arrow hit him. He was moving slowly, but moving. A million things running through my head. He made it 20 yards, and laid back down. Okay, things aren't perfect, but I can still see him. At 1050, he tried to get up, but couldn't. The wind was picking up. Blowing a consistent 10-12 mph, from him to me. Plenty of leaves on the trees, and it was creating enough noise that I felt okay with climbing down, and moving toward him. I lost sight of him as I stepped off of my climber platform. I eased down the hill, glassing every few steps. When I'd covered enough ground to a point where I knew I should be able to see him, he wasn't there. Panic set it. I immediately thought that I had bumped him. I glassed every inch of ground where I thought he should be. No deer. I took a few steps to my left, and kept glassing. 20 yards beyond where he was before I climbed down, I could make out a leg. He was bedded. He'd moved again. I was within 30 yards. Time for a follow up shot. As I moved to get an clear shot, I could see his head. It was down. I couldn't see any sign of life. He was done. That entire sequence was just short of 3 hours. He bedded, then moved two times. Distance from the first bed to where he died was less than 50 yards. I've always heard that if you don't bump a deer, you'll find them in their bed. He proved that wrong.

3. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    This is why I don't bow hunt anymore. I can't practice enough to get good and confident. When I shoot one with a modern gun or ML rifle, I wait for the best shot, or I don't pull the trigger. Every deer I've taken has been found within 40 yards and most are DRT. I hope I never just wound one.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  4. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    I would really like to see the ratio of deer lost with firearm compared to those lost with archery tackle I bet it’s probably closer than most would think i have been lucky and not lost a deer in the last few years but I am sure it will happen again if it hasn’t happened to you give it time strange things happen

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I had a buddy that lost a truckload of deer with his .270 over a few years. After losing one a LBL years ago I asked to see what ammo he was shooting. Turns out he had been shooting the best heavy loads of dangerous game ammo he could find. Basically full metal jacket ammo. He was just punching holes through the deer he was shooting.

6. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I accidentally used FMJ ammo in my M1 Garand to deer hunt many years ago. It was the only rifle i had and I grabbed the wrong clip. I shot a deer with the FMJ and it was DRT because I hit it where everything meets. The heart was in 2 pieces and the lungs were jelly. Shot placement is the key.

Carl and kyhunter99 like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    This guy was was pulling hail Marys, he definitely needed the right bullets.

Carl, jblack1 and reivertom like this.
  8. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I have never lost a deer with a rifle Granted i never killed one over 200 yards either, but years ago when i was able to pull a bow i lost some with bow and arrow, i was a pretty good shot but a person can misjudge yardage a little , you might be excited and twist bow a little, string can slap your arm if you have on a lot of clothes, deer can jump string so many things can go wrong with bow that dont a gun

kyhunter99 likes this.
  9. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county

10. Grago

Grago 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I guess your right, i have been fortunate, i guess i know of a lot of guys that have lost deer with a gun, things can happen , no one wants to lose a deer with gun or bow, just a lot more human error can happen with a bow

11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I think it comes down to practice and patience. No matter the weapon, you have to become extremely proficient and be brutally honest with yourself on your effective range. How many people shoot year round, not just right before the season opens? Regardless of weapon. You have to be patient for an open shot within your range. Discipline and patience is always a virtue.

ChrisInKY and Winchester94 like this.
  12. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    I agree I like to keep my shots 25 yards and under but practice often out to a hundred with my bow shoot every day possible year round even if it’s only ten or twelve shots a day it helps with today’s technology a modern compound bow is just as effective in the right hands at reasonable distances as a rifle but anything can happen with either weapon

13. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Good Story. Dang, I wish I could write like that. This should be in Field and Stream.

14. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

You hit the nail on the head. Knowing your own limitations is tough. I've shot guns and bows for a long time. A very long time. Man am I getting old. What were we talking about? Oh, effective range... I often wonder how many people know about the speed of sound. How many know exactly how fast their bow or crossbow shoots...not the manufacturers advertised specs. Taking a deer with archery equipment is quite an accomplishment. Going head to head with a mature old doe. That'll test a hunters patience, and perseverance.

kyhunter99 and EdLongshanks like this.